The following updates to Current Procedural Terminology (CPT ® American Medical Association) and Healthcare Common Procedures Coding System (HCPCS) Level II codes related to audiology services were effective January 1, 2023. Audiologists can contact ASHA's health care policy team at email@example.com for questions.
For current updates, see audiology CPT and HCPCS code changes for 2024.
On this page:
New CPT and HCPCS Level II Codes
The following new CPT codes became effective January 1, 2023. There were no new HCPCS Level II codes related to audiology services or devices in 2023.
Remote Monitoring for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
The following CPT code was added to the existing family of remote therapeutic monitoring (RTM) services for 2023.
98978 Remote therapeutic monitoring (eg, therapy adherence, therapy response); device(s) supply with scheduled (eg, daily) recording(s) and/or programmed alert(s) transmission to monitor cognitive behavioral therapy, each 30 days
- 98978 represents the cost of supplies for devices used to monitor CBT, not the time the clinician spends reviewing and integrating the data collected or communicating with the patient/caregiver.
- The device used must be approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to qualify for reporting under this or any other CPT code related to remote monitoring. Check with the manufacturer directly regarding the device's FDA status.
- Report this code only once per 30-day period (not each calendar month).
- Unlike the other RTM codes, 98978 has not been assigned a specific value and will be priced at the discretion of the payer.
- Medicare will not cover remote monitoring services when reported by audiologists. Check with other non-Medicare payers for coverage and billing guidelines.
Category III Codes for Vestibular Implant Programming
The following Category III CPT codes related to vestibular implant programming and reprogramming were added for 2023.
0728T Diagnostic analysis of vestibular implant, unilateral; with initial programming
0729T with subsequent programming
- Category III codes are temporary CPT codes representing new technology. They are priced and covered at the discretion of individual payers and will be sunset January 2028, unless they are converted to permanent CPT codes or are renewed as Category III codes for another five years.
- Before reporting these codes, check with your local Medicare contractor and other payers for coverage and billing guidelines.
- There are corresponding Category III codes describing the surgical implantation or removal of a vestibular device (0725T, 0726T, and 0727T).
Revised or Deleted CPT and HCPCS Level II Codes
No CPT or HCPCS Level II codes directly related to audiology services were deleted in 2023. However, audiologist should be aware that CPT codes for group audiometric testing, Bekesy, and short increment sensitivity index (SISI) were deleted in 2022. See 2022 code changes for more information.
Additions to Appendix P (Telehealth Services)
The official CPT codebook published by the AMA includes Appendix P, which lists CPT codes that the CPT Editorial Panel has determined can be reported with modifier -95 (synchronous audio-visual telehealth service). The following CPT codes for cochlear implant programming and reprogramming were added to Appendix P in 2023.
92601 Diagnostic analysis of cochlear implant, patient younger than 7 years of age; with programming
92602 subsequent reprogramming
92603 Diagnostic analysis of cochlear implant, age 7 years or older; with programming
92604 subsequent reprogramming
- Although some payers may defer to Appendix P for their telehealth coverage policies, this list does not dictate whether services may be delivered via telehealth.
- Inclusion in Appendix P does not guarantee coverage by payers nor does exclusion from Appendix P mean that specific services aren't appropriately delivered via telehealth or won't be covered by certain payers.
- ASHA will continue to work with the AMA to add other audiology related services to Appendix P.
- Always check directly with payers regarding coverage and billing for telehealth services.