Certification Reinstatement: Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if I'm eligible for reinstatement of the CCC?
Reinstatement of the Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) may be available to eligible individuals who are considered "not currently certified" after their ASHA certification has expired, or has been resigned, retired, or revoked, and who meet the following criteria.
- An individual whose ASHA certification expired after failing to comply with certification maintenance standards
- An individual who decides to return to practice after resigning his/her ASHA certification
- An individual who decides to return to practice after retiring his/her ASHA certification
- An individual whose ASHA certification was revoked by the Board of Ethics, but who has petitioned and received approval to reinstate from the Board of Ethics, as well as met all the Board's reinstatement conditions or requirements
Where can I find reinstatement policies and procedures, and obtain an application?
You can read the audiology and speech-language pathology reinstatement policies and procedures, and print a copy of the reinstatement application, on the ASHA website.
What is the processing time for a reinstatement application?
Once received at the National Office, please allow approximately 6 weeks for the review of your completed reinstatement application and all additional required documentation. Certification cannot be reinstated until we have verified that all reinstatement requirements have been met.
How many hours of professional development must I complete in order to be eligible for reinstatement?
Evidence needed of professional development hours (certificates of completion/attendance) is based on the number of years you were considered "not currently certified." Eligible Certification Maintenance Hours (CMHs) are those that have been earned no more than 3 years prior to submitting the application for reinstatement.
- 1 year = 10 hours*
- 2 years = 20 hours
- 3 or more years = 30 hours
* If applying for reinstatement within 1 year of becoming "not currently certified," provide evidence of 10 CMHs that were earned no more than 12 months prior to application.
How do I know if I have to retake the Praxis exam?
If your certification has been expired for more than 1 year and your passing Praxis score was achieved more than 5 years prior to your application for reinstatement, then you must retake the exam. No passing Praxis score is required if you are applying for reinstatement within 1 year of becoming "not currently certified." If you are unsure of your eligibility or your expiration date, please contact the Action Center at 800-498-2071 or e-mail email@example.com.
What are the dues/fees for reinstatement of the CCC?
The dues/fees for reinstatement of the CCC-SLP or CCC-A are:
- $375 for CCC-SLP or CCC-A and ASHA membership
- $349 for CCC-SLP or CCC-A without ASHA membership
Who can I speak with if I have more questions about the reinstatement process?
If you have further questions, please contact the Action Center at 800-498-2071 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.