Maryland Licensing Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Initial Licensure


  1. Holds a doctoral degree from an accredited educational institution 
  2. Completion of the supervised professional experience
  3. Passage of the national examination in audiology
  4. Demonstration of oral English competency
  5. Passage of an open-book jurisdictional exam

Note: Audiologists may dispense hearing aids under an audiology license.

Speech-Language Pathology

  1. Holds a master's degree from an accredited educational institution 
  2. Completion of supervised clinical experience
  3. Completion of supervised postgraduate professional experience 
  4. Passage of the national examination in speech-language pathology
  5. Demonstration of oral English competency
  6. Passage of an open-book jurisdictional exam


  1. Federal employees
  2. Students or trainees
  3. Physicians
  4. Volunteers working in free speech and hearing screening programs
  5. Audiologists or speech language pathologists licensed in another state while waiting for Board approval of their licensure application
  6. Employees of public or state schools providing speech-language pathology services that have practiced continuously on or before September 30, 2007
  7. Individuals continuously employed to practice audiology since June 30, 1988, in a county or state school system.


  1. The Board may waive the examination requirement to an applicant who meets the qualifications otherwise required by this title, and is licensed in another state with equivalent standards.
  2. Audiologists, speech language pathologists, and speech language pathology assistants licensed in another state may practice while their completed application for licensure is pending before the Board.

Interim Practice

    1. The Board may issue a limited license to individuals who meet the licensure requirements except for the examination and supervised clinical training/postgraduate professional practice and:
      1. Have a master's degree in speech language pathology or a doctoral degree in audiology or both
      2. Have met the requirements the academic and practicum requirements for a Certificate of Clinical Competence or Board Certification in Audiology from the American Board of Audiology that was in effect at the time their degree was obtained
      3. Demonstrates oral English competency

A limited license expires after one year and is renewable once.

  1. Applicants without a master's degrees who are enrolled in a post-baccalaureate doctoral training or hold a master's degree from a university program that is not accredited by the CAA may seek a limited license under equivalency requirements specified by the Board in regulation.

Continuing Education for License Renewal

  1. 30 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) per two-year renewal cycle; 50 CEUs for dual licensees
  2. Continuing education credits may not be carried over from one renewal cycle to another
  3. The Board will prorate CEUs for individuals newly licensed, reinstated, or transfers from other states if license is obtained between six months and two years of renewal cycle and shall waive requirements for those obtaining full licensure within six months of renewal cycle.

Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact

Maryland is a member state of the Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact. Information on the current status of the ASLP-IC can be found on the ASLP-IC website.

Board Oversight

State Board of Examiners for Audiologists, Hearing Aid Dispensers, and Speech-Language Pathologists


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathologists and audiologist, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners