Illinois Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.


Audiologists in public schools are contract employees and do not fall under specific teacher requirements of the State Department of Education. State licensure, issued by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR), is typically required for practice in the schools. Contact the board for additional information. 

Speech-Language Pathologist

There are two pathways for SLPs to obtain a license to work in Illinois schools.

Note: This information presented on this page is a summary of the requirements in Illinois. For the complete requirements, including instructions on how to apply for licensure, visit Professional Educator Licensure Requirements.

Option 1:
A support personnel endorsement as a speech-language pathologist is available to individuals who meet the following requirements:

  • The speech-language pathologist endorsement shall be affixed to a Professional Educator License (PEL).
  • Each applicant shall hold a master's or doctoral degree in speech-language pathology
  • An approved course of study or an accredited program includes those courses of study or programs that hold either accreditation or the status of "accreditation individual" issued by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association at the time that the applicant completed the program.
  • Each individual shall:
    • Complete an Illinois program approved for the preparation of speech-language pathologists or a comparable approved program (including an internship) in another state or country; or
    • Hold a comparable certificate or license issued by another state or country.
  • The following experience shall be honored in lieu of an internship:
    • One year of professional experience in PK–12 schools as a speech-language pathologist on a valid, comparable out-of-state certificate or license that allows the holder to work as a speech-language pathologist in that state's public schools; or
    • 150 clock hours of supervised, school-based professional experience.

Option 2:
A speech-language pathology endorsement shall be issued to any speech-language pathologist who meets the following requirements:

  • Holds a regular license as a speech-language pathologist pursuant to the Illinois Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Practice and
  • Holds a current Certificate of Clinical Competence in speech-language pathology from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

Continuing Education

PEL School Support Personnel Endorsements

Continuing education requirements are fulfilled by meeting ASHA CCC's or IDFPR requirements.

PEL Teaching Endorsements

Continuing education requirements are the same as for classroom teachers (40–120 professional development hours per 5 year cycle).

Note: Not all continuing education credits for speech pathology are accepted by Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) for fulfilling PEL Teacher requirements.

Board Oversight


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners