Delaware Licensing Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Initial Licensure Requirements


Has a current Certificate of Clinical Competence from ASHA or American Board of Audiology (ABA) certification, or

Meets all of the following requirements:

  1. Doctoral degree in audiology from an accredited college or university
  2. Successful completion of a national exam in the applicant's specialty area

Note: Audiologists may dispense hearing aids under an audiology license.

Speech Language Pathology

Has a current Certificate of Clinical Competence from ASHA.


  1. Any person performing industrial hearing screening under the supervision of a physician licensed in Delaware
  2. Students from an accredited school receiving practical training under the personal supervision of a licensed SLP or audiologist
  3. Non-residents who are not licensed in this state may provide speech-language pathology or audiology services if such services are performed for not more than 30 days in any calendar year and in cooperation with a licensed individual, if the person meets the requirements for licensure in this state, holds a valid license in another state with equivalent requirements, or holds a CCC
  4. Licensed persons from another state, district, or foreign country consulting with a licensed SLP, audiologist, or hearing aid dispenser limited to examination, recommendation, and testimony in litigation.


  1. An applicant who is licensed in good standing in another state, the District of Columbia, or U.S. territory whose standards for licensure are substantially similar to those of Delaware may be granted a license by the state licensure board.
  2. Applicants whose licensure requirements are not substantially similar shall provide proof of practice for a minimum of five years after licensure and meet all other qualifications for reciprocity.
  3. The state licensure board may grant a license to applicants with CCC.
  4. Applicants who have received a master's degree or its equivalent or a doctoral degree or its equivalent from a foreign school shall submit a certified copy of the school's record for evaluation.
  5. Applicants with unresolved complaints pending shall not be licensed in Delaware until all proceedings have been resolved.

Interim Practice

Clinical fellows must obtain a temporary license; it is valid for one year and may be renewed up to three times.

Continuing Education

Must complete 30 continuing education (CE) hours per biennial renewal cycle, dual licensed must complete 15 CEs in each specialty area per two-year license.

Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact

Delaware is a member state of the Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact. Information on the current status of the ASLP-IC can be found on the ASLP-IC website.

Board Oversight

Board of Speech Pathologists, Audiologists, and Hearing Aid Dispensers


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathologists and audiologist, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners