Vermont Licensing Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Initial Licensure

Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology

  1. A master's degree or doctoral degree in audiology or speech-language pathology from an educational institution approved by the Director 
  2. Completion of a supervised clinical practicum
  3. Completion of a period of postgraduate professional training approved by the Director
  4. Passing scores on the Praxis II examination or other examination in audiology or speech-language pathology selected by the State Board
    ASHA CCCs or American Board of Audiology certification

Note: Audiologists may dispense hearing aids under an audiology license.


  1. Students clearly designated as trainee participating in a supervised course of study
  2. Hearing aid dispensers
  3. Licensed persons from performing services within their scope of practice


Vermont does not recognize reciprocity for licensure.

Interim Practice

Two-year provisional licenses may be granted to audiology and speech-language pathology graduates who have met all the requirements for licensure except for completing the clinical fellowship.

Continuing Education

License renewal requires proof of qualifications to maintain certification by ASHA or ABA, the equivalent being twenty hours of continuing education per two-year licensing period.

Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact

Vermont is a member state of the Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact. Information on the current status of the ASLP-IC can be found on the ASLP-IC website.

Department Oversight

Vermont Secretary of State


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathologists and audiologist, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners