Montana Licensing Requirements for Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Initial Licensure


  1. Must possess a Doctor of Audiology degree or a PhD in Audiology from an accredited program approved by the Board
  2. Passage of a national exam approved by the Board
  3. If the applicant is a holder of a valid Montana license prior to 2007 and maintains that license, the applicant will not be required to obtain a doctorate to practice audiology in the future
  4. Passage of a Montana jurisprudence exam

Speech Language Pathology

  1. Master's degree in speech pathology or communication approved by the Board 
  2. Completion of a practicum with a minimum of 400 clock hours of supervision (375 of direct patient contact)
  3. Completion of a 36-week clinical experience with a mentor
  4. Passage of a national exam approved by the Board
  5. Passage of a Montana jurisprudence exam


  1. Persons licensed in the state under any other law from engaging in the profession for which they are licensed
  2. Hearing aid dispensers
  3. Federal employees within their organizational jurisdiction
  4. Students properly designated as speech-language pathology or audiology interns or trainees
  5. Class A certificate holders issued by the Conference of Executives of American Schools of the Deaf
  6. Unlicensed persons may provide speech-language pathology or audiology services for no more than 5 days per calendar year if services are performed in cooperation with a state-licensed SLP or audiologist. Persons licensed in another state, with requirements at least equivalent to Montana, may offer services for no more than 30 days per calendar year if performed in cooperation with a state-licensed SLP or audiologist.


  1. The Board may issue a license to persons who hold a valid and unrestricted license to practice in another state with substantially equivalent to or greater standards that in Montana at the time of the application.
  2. ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) holders may submit evidence of certification as proof of having met the requirements for licensure.
  3. Audiology applicants with a license from another state that have equivalent or greater standards prior to January 1, 2007, will not be required to obtain a doctorate to practice in the state.

Interim Practice

  1. An active temporary license to practice as a speech language pathologist and/or audiologist will be issued to persons engaged in clinical experience year activities or clinical fellowship year activities. It is valid for two years.
  2. Audiologists and speech language pathologists with ASHA CCCs or equivalent or are licensed in another state and who has made application for a license may be granted a one-year temporary permit to practice pending approval of their application.

Continuing Education

Licensees must complete 40 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) per 2-year renewal cycle. Dual licensees must complete 50 CEUs with 25 units in each area.

Board Oversight

Board of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathologists and audiologist, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners