Michigan Licensing Requirements for Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Initial Licensure


  1. Master's or doctoral degree in audiology from a regionally accredited college or university approved by the Board
  2. Applicants without a doctor of audiology degree (AuD) must complete a nine month supervised clinical experience in audiology
  3. Successful completion of a Praxis Series II test or the National Teacher's Exam in audiology.

Note: Audiologists may dispense hearing aids under their audiology license.

Speech Language Pathology

  1. Master's or doctoral degree from an accredited educational program that meets the standards 
  2. 1,260 hours of a supervised postgraduate clinical experience
  3. Passage of an exam acceptable to the Board of Speech-Language Pathology


  1. Individuals employed by a regionally accredited college or university, and involved in research or teaching of communication disorders, as long as the individual does not engage in the practice of audiology or hold himself/herself out as licensed or otherwise authorized as an audiologist
  2. Individuals employed by the Department of Community Health conducting hearing sensitivity screenings
  3. Individuals certified by an agency acceptable to the Occupational Health Standards Commission engaging in hearing screening as part of a hearing conservation program under the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Act
  4. A certified, registered, or otherwise statutorily recognized member of another profession, including a person licensed in the practice of medicine or osteopathic medicine and surgery, and an unlicensed person to whom tasks have been delegated under his or her supervision
  5. Licensed hearing aid dealers (so long as the individual does not hold himself out to the public as possessing a license or title)


  1. Applicants currently licensed in another state with substantially equivalent requirements or ASHA CCCs or American Board of Audiology (ABA) certification will be presumed to meet the education, clinical experience, and exam requirements for Michigan as will Canadian audiologists certified by Speech-Language and Audiology Canada (SAC). Fingerprints and criminal background checks also required.
  2. Speech-language pathology applicants may receive a license by endorsement from another state that has licensure requirements substantially equivalent to Michigan's as determined by the Board of Speech-Language Pathology. If licensed more than five years or more from date of application individual must possess a master's or doctoral degree from an accredited education program and pass the Praxis series II exam. If licensed less than 5 years prior, must meet the educational and exam requirements listed above in addition to a completed supervised postgraduate clinical experience. Applicants certified by ASHA or SAC must have all prior licenses verified and show proof of any disciplinary actions taken or pending.

Interim Practice

  1. Audiology applicants who meet the educational requirements but have yet to complete the nine months of supervised clinical experience shall submit an application for a limited license. Applicants must be a graduate of an accredited education program in audiology and have been accepted for training by an audiologist with a state license, ASHA CCCs, or American Board of Audiology certification.
  2. Speech-language pathology clinical fellows may apply for a limited license for the purpose of completing the supervised postgraduate clinical experience. The temporary license period shall not exceed 12 months.

Continuing Education

Twenty continuing professional development credits (CPD) every 2-year period. Audiologists and speech-language pathologists must obtain 1 CPD in pain and management in order to renew.

Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact

Michigan is not a member state of the Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact. Information on the current status of the ASLP-IC can be found on the ASLP-IC website.

Board Oversight

Board of Audiology

Board of Speech-Language Pathology


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathologists and audiologist, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners