Connecticut Licensing Requirement for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Initial Licensure


  1. Doctorate degree required, if graduated on or after January 1, 2007, from a program accredited by the educational standards board of ASHA or its successor organization, Accreditation Commission for Audiology Education (ACAE), or another organization recognized by U.S. Department of Education.
  2. Passage of an NTE Specialty Area Test (by ETS)

Note: Audiologists may dispense hearing aids under an audiology license.

Speech Language Pathology

  1. Master's or doctorate degree in speech and language pathology from a program accredited at the time of the applicant's graduation by the educational standards board of ASHA, the ACAE or other accreditation organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or has completed an integrated educational program that satisfies the educational requirements for the award of a certificate of clinical competence
  2. Completed a minimum of 36 weeks and 1,080 hours of full-time professional employment or 48 weeks and 1,440 hours of part-time employment in speech pathology under supervision of a licensed or certified speech pathologist.
  3. Passage of an NTE Specialty Area Test (by ETS)


  1. Students, properly identified as either speech-language pathology or audiology trainees or interns, provided such activities constitute a part of their supervised course of study.
  2. Persons not licensed from consulting or sharing their research findings or offering lectures to the public for a fee
  3. Persons providing services in fulfillment of the postgraduate supervised employment requirement
  4. Nurses and other personnel engaged in screening and audiometric testing under the supervision of a physician or audiologist
  5. Hearing aid dealers
  6. Employees of the state or others administering audiometric tests pursuant to OSHA
  7. Persons practicing the profession for which they are licensed
  8. A person who is licensed or certified as a speech pathologist or audiologist in another state, U.S. territory, or foreign province whose standards are equivalent to or higher than Connecticut requirements may offer their services in state for a total of not more than 30 days in any calendar year.
  9. A person from another state may offer speech-language pathology or audiology services, provided such person meets requirements for state licensure, and services are performed for no more than 5 days in any calendar year.


  1. The Commissioner may waive the written examination for persons licensed in another state with equivalent requirements, or for those individuals who hold a certificate from a national professional organization, approved by the commissioner, in speech pathology or audiology.
  2. The Department of Public Health may accept equivalent supervised professional employment period undertaken in another state, or may accept professional employment of equivalent duration in another state, provided the applicant met the educational requirements and was licensed or holds a certificate from a national professional organization at the time of employment.

Interim Practice

A temporary permit shall not be required for persons engaged in postgraduate supervised employment under direct supervision of a licensed audiologist who is authorized to fit and sell hearing aids.

Clinical fellows in speech-language pathology must register with the Connecticut Department of Public Health.

Continuing Education

Speech-language pathologists and audiologists are required to complete 20 hours of continuing education every two years beginning October 1, 2011.

Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact

Connecticut is not a member state of the Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact. Information on the current status of the ASLP-IC can be found on the ASLP-IC website.

Regulatory Oversight

Department of Public Health


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathologists and audiologist, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners