COVID-19 UPDATES: Find news and resources for audiologists, speech-language pathologists, and the public.
Latest Updates | Telepractice Resources | Email Us

Finding Financial Aid

You're Not in This Alone: The Good News About Financial Aid

A career in CSD can be financially rewarding. Why not reward yourself by exploring the wide variety of financial aid available to students in audiology, speech-language pathology, and the related sciences?

Types of funding. Scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study programs for undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, and postdoctoral students.

Sources. Federal, state, and local governments; private agencies; foundations; and service organizations such as fraternities and sororities.

Aid for specific groups of recipients. Individuals from racial/ethnic diverse groups, those with disabilities, mature returning students, and groups by gender.

Two Words: Start Now

The sooner you begin, the better your chances will be to tap into all available funding sources. By starting now and searching thoroughly, you may well be able to complete your education debt-free!

Ask for advice. Consult with your high school guidance counselor, college/university career counselor, and/or the financial aid office.

Get specific. Research various sources of aid. Make a list of the requirements, applications, and deadlines. Apply early for the best opportunity.

Expand Your Search. In addition to the many funding resources shown here, expand your search to include audiology, speech-language pathology, communication, healthcare and science careers. Time spent on the Internet can pay big dividends.

Funding Opportunities

American Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation

Each year the American Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation (ASHFoundation) sponsors scholarship and grant competitions to graduate students and new researchers in CSD.

Undergraduate senior and graduate student scholarships are available annually for masters or doctoral students studying audiology or speech-language pathology. One scholarship each gives priority to a student with a disability, an international student studying in the United States, a U.S. citizen who is an racial/ethnic minority and an undergraduate senior NSSLHA member. Please locate current information about all scholarships and grants on the ASHFoundation website.

Research Grants


  • New Century Scholars Doctoral Scholarships
  • Graduate Student Scholarships
    Note: Applicants who wish to be considered for any of the following endowed scholarships must indicate this during the Graduate Student Scholarship application process.
    • Student with a Disability Scholarship
    • Minority Student Scholarship
    • International Student Scholarship
    • NSSLHA Scholarship

Federal and State Education Programs

  • Department of Education - Especially for Students
  • For information about federal programs, visit Funding Education Beyond High School: The Guide to Federal Student Aid. Programs include the Pell Grant Program, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG), loans and work-study programs. There are also federal education loans, such as the Federal Perkins Loans, which allow audiologists and speech-language pathologists working in public schools cancellation privileges.
  • State Grant Programs. Contact special education departments, offices of higher education assistance, student or college aid commissions to learn about financial assistance available in your state or visit your state's Website to learn more.

Resources, Scholarships and Loan Programs


  • Foundation Directory. This book can be found at college, university and local public libraries. Foundations award scholarships to high school graduates and individuals enrolled in undergraduate and graduate programs.


Most graduate programs have their own grant, scholarship and loan programs as well as opportunities for part-time employment. Students may inquire through the graduate school, and the communication sciences and disorders department at the college or university where they expect to enroll. Explore funding opportunities for specific academic programs through the ASHA search engine for academic programs, EdFind.

Web Links

Training Grants

Contact CSD departments at colleges and universities about training grants for audiology and speech-language pathology programs that they may have available. Funding may be provided by federal government agencies, such as:

ASHA Corporate Partners