It is the mission of the SIG on Global Issues in Communication Sciences and Related Disorders to provide international leadership related to audiology and speech-language pathology services by promoting research, networking, collaboration, education, and mentoring for its affiliates, students, and other service providers in the global marketplace.
Affiliate Benefits and SIG Programs
Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups
Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups is the online peer-reviewed scholarly review journal of the SIGs. SIG 17 offers new self-study CE activities through Perspectives each year.
Earn ASHA continuing education units (CEUs) through
- Self-study of Perspectives and pay the lowest processing fee to take the learning assessments
- SIG sponsored Master Classes and one-hour sessions at the annual ASHA Convention.
SIG 17 Affiliates have access to exclusive discussion forums/groups, which provide the opportunity to interact with other SIG Affiliates who share interest in global issues in communication sciences and related disorders. Use ASHA's Member Directory to search for individuals by SIG affiliation. In addition, SIG 17 Affiliates can meet in person and online at an ASHA and SIG sponsored events; typically each SIG hosts an Affiliates meeting at Convention and sponsors a virtual open house.
Representation Within ASHA
- The SIG 17 Coordinator represents the Special Interest Group within the ASHA Board of Special Interest Group Coordinators.
- The Coordinating Committee responds to ASHA requests for input regarding policy, guidelines, committees, and other issues.
- Affiliates have the opportunity to provide input to the SIG leadership and ASHA.
Coordinating Committee Members
- 2020–2025 Coordinator: Kimberly Chisomo Selemani, Baldwin Wallace University
- 2023–2024 Associate Coordinator: Silvia Martinez, Howard University
- 2023–2025 Editor: Brenda E. Staley, Charles Darwin University
- 2024–2026 Professional Development Manager: Sulare Latoya Rose, University of the District of Columbia
- 2024–2026 Member-at-Large: Wael Al-Sayed Al-Dakroury, AL Faisal University College of Medicine
- 2024–2026 Member-at-Large: Mellissa A Bortz, St. John's University
- Ex Officio: Lily Waterston, Director, International Programs, ASHA
View the Editorial Board Roster for Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups.
Professional Development Committee
- Sulare Latoya Rose, Professional Development Manager
- Lisa M. Domby
- Jessica Jocelyn
- Diana Sanchez
- Brenda E. Staley, Editor
- Lily Waterston, Ex Officio
Liaisons to the ASHA Board of Directors
- Janice R. Trent, 2022–2024 Vice President for Audiology Practice
- Ryan M. Lee James, 2024–2026 Vice President for Speech-Language Pathology Practice