Wyoming Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.


Audiologists in the public schools are contract employees and do not fall under specific teacher requirements of the Wyoming State Department of Education. State licensure issued by the Wyoming State Board of Examiners of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology is typically required for practice in the schools. Contact the board for additional information.

Speech-Language Pathologist

A Wyoming Educator License with a Professional Services Endorsement in Speech Pathology (which is valid for 5 years) requires:

  • a master's degree in speech-language pathology from a regionally or nationally accredited institution,
  • institutional recommendation indicating completion of a teacher preparation program from an accredited institution,
  • Praxis II exam.

Note: Related Services Personnel are permitted to be hired by a school district if they hold a current and valid Wyoming license in their own profession. Therefore, if you hold a license from the Wyoming Board of Speech Pathology and Audiology, any district may hire you based on that license. However, many districts still require a Professional Teachers Standards Board (PTSB) license for employment.

Continuing Education Requirements

Individuals with authorization from the PTSB must complete five semester hours of university or PTSB-approved workshop credit every five years.

Emergency Certification

The Exception Authorization requires a bachelor's degree and enrollment in a master's degree program for speech-language pathology or audiology. The applicant must provide a letter from the school superintendent stating the following: no fully-licensed and qualified individual was available for the position; a fully licensed educator will supervise the applicant; a district supervisor will formally evaluate the applicant no less than two times during the school year; and the applicant will complete additional requirement as necessary. The authorization is valid for one year and may be renewed one additional year if the applicant demonstrates progress towards full licensure.

Regulatory Oversight


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners