West Virginia Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state department of education for the most up-to-date information. 


Audiologists in the public schools are contract employees and do not fall under specific teacher requirements of the West Virginia Department of Education. State licensure issued by the West Virginia Board of Examiners Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology is typically required for practice in schools.

Speech-Language Pathologist

Initial Student Support Certificate (valid three years)

  1. Master's degree—completion of approved program in speech-language pathology from an accredited institution of higher education;
  2. Passing score on the Praxis Exam

Professional Student Support Certificate (valid five years)

  1. Satisfy requirements for Initial Certificate;
  2. Two years of experience under the Initial Certificate, one of which must be completed in West Virginia;
  3. Hold a master's degree plus 30 salary classification (30 semester hours of approved graduate classes), or have completed six semester hours of appropriate coursework reflecting a 3.0 GPA and related to the public school program; and
  4. Recommendation of Superintendent.

Permanent Professional Student Support Certificate (renewal, five-year, and permanent)

  1. Hold or be eligible for the five-year Professional Certificate;
  2. Complete five years of educational experience including two within the specialization for which the permanent certificate is requested;
  3. Recommendation of Superintendent.

Speech-Language Pathologist without a license issued to practice in the public school setting

  1. Must obtain verification from the college/university where the speech-language pathology preparation program was completed.
  2. Must hold a master’s degree.
  3. Verification of a practicum/clinical experience in the P–12 setting.
  4. Provide a copy of the speech-language pathology certificate from the state that issued the speech-language pathology certificate.
  5. Hold a valid West Virginia Board of Examiner’s Speech Pathology License.
  6. Hold ASHA CCCs.
  7. Submit passing scores on current Praxis exam. (Applicants who hold valid national certification by ASHA who took the Praxis exam required by ASHA at the time the national certification was obtained are exempt from meeting the Praxis requirement effective in the West Virginia Licensure Testing Directory at the time of application.)
  8. Applicants without P–12 practicum/clinical experience—a Provisional Student Support Certificate for speech-language pathology may be issued to a person who has completed all of the requirements except verification of completion of a practicum/clinical experience in the P–12 setting. In lieu of practicum/clinical experience, applicants must provide verification of a minimum of one year of experience working with P–12-age students in the state that issued the speech-language pathology license.
  9. Validity Period—the Provisional Student Support Certificate shall be valid for one school year and shall expire on June 30 of that school year. An educator who graduates in December or whose Provisional Certificate is effective on or after January 1 may be issued a Provisional Certificate valid until June 30 of the following school year. The Provisional Certificate is valid for a period of one year and may not be renewed.
  10. Conversion of a Provisional Student Support Certificate. Applicants must provide evidence of a minimum of one year of full-time or contracted services experience working in a West Virginia public school as an SLP with successful evaluations.

Continuing Education Requirement

Renewal of the Professional Student Support Certificate requires six semester hours (at least 3.0 GPA) every five years, or granting of a master's degree plus 30 salary classification (30 semester hours of approved graduate classes), and recommendation of the superintendent. Persons age 60 and over are not required to complete additional renewal credit.

Regulatory Oversight


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners