New Hampshire Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school-based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.


Audiologists in the public schools are contract employees and do not fall under specific teacher requirements of the State Department of Education. State licensure issued by New Hampshire Board of Hearing Care Providers is typically required for practice in the schools.

Speech-Language Pathologist

School Speech-Language Specialist

Effective July 1, 2022, speech-language pathologists must have a state license to practice in New Hampshire schools. Any person practicing as a speech-language specialist certified by the department of education prior to July 1, 2022, may continue practicing so long as such person practices continuously after July 1, 2022, in a public school system, state-approved nonpublic school for children with disabilities, chartered public educational institution of the state, or the state department of education. Speech-language specialists are not be eligible to participate in the audiology and speech-language pathology interstate compact.

Continuing Education Requirement

A minimum of 75 continuing education units (hours) is required for recertification in one endorsement area. An additional 30 continuing education units is required for each additional endorsement area.

Emergency Certification

An individual may obtain Alternative 4 Certification Path for Critical Shortage Areas with a bachelor's degree in Speech Pathology or Communications Disorders. By plan completion, candidates for Speech-Language Specialist must obtain a master's degree in communications disorders or a closely related area.

Regulatory Oversight


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners