Kentucky Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.


Audiologists in the public schools are contract employees and do not fall under specific teacher requirements of the state department of education. State licensure issued by Kentucky Board of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology is typically required for practice in the schools. Contact the board for additional information.

Speech-Language Pathologist

Professional Certificate for Teachers of Exceptional Children and Youth (valid for 5 years)

  • Master's degree in communication or speech-language pathology
  • Completion of the following examinations:
    • Education of Exceptional Students - Core Content Knowledge
    • Speech-Language Pathology Exam

*All new teachers and out-of-state teachers with less than two years of successful teaching experience shall serve a one year internship.

Citation: 16 KAR 2:050 

Continuing Education Requirement

Renewal of the professional certificate requires completion of six semester hours of credit or the equivalent in PSDUs or CEUs every five years.

Regulatory Oversight


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit this website:

Kentucky Certification Regulations 

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners