Indiana Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The following information summarizes the requirements currently necessary to begin work in the public school system as an audiologist or speech-language pathologist.

This information has been collected by researching individual state department of education regulations and policy documents, state administrative code provisions and by contacting each state department of education. Please be advised that regulations and policy may change at any time, so always check with your state department of education for the most up-to-date information.


Audiologists in the public schools are contract employees and do not fall under specific teacher requirements of the State Department of Education. State licensure, issued by the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency, is typically required for practice in the schools. Contact the board for additional information. 

Speech-Language Pathologist

Licensure Requirements

  • Valid CPR card from an Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) approved provider
  • Official transcripts showing receipt of a master's degree in speech pathology and which bear the sign and/or seal of the registrar, the degree, and date conferred. Provide transcripts for ALL completed coursework at ALL institutions attended. Transcripts must be included with evaluation materials.
  • Suicide Prevention Certificate
  • Valid Professional Licensing Agency license

Emergency Licensure

Effective April 2019, the Department of Education may issue an emergency communication disorder permit to an individual, as necessary, to serve the needs of students who are eligible for speech and language services under the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (20 U.S.C. 1400 et seq.). To be eligible to receive an emergency communication disorder permit, an individual must:

(1) have a bachelor's degree in speech, language, and hearing sciences or an equivalent bachelor's degree in this subject area; and

(2) be enrolled, and have submitted a verified plan of study, in a graduate program in communication disorders.

Citation: In Public Law 64 (2019)

Continuing Education Requirement

  • Indiana Professional Licensing Agency license; and
  • Valid CPR card from IDOE approved provider.

Board Oversight


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit this website:

Indiana Speech Pathologists and Audiologists Regulations

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners