Iowa Early Intervention Requirements for Practice

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for developing requirements for the professions of audiology and/or speech-language pathology to work in the early intervention setting. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.



Master’s degree


State licensure  is issued by Iowa Board of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology.

Speech-Language Pathology


Master's degree


State licensure is issued by Iowa Board of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology.

Note: SLPs working for an Iowa School District or an Area Education Agency must hold the Professional Service License or a Statement of Professional Recognition through the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners. 

Speech-Language Pathology Paraeducators

May be used under the direction and supervision of a qualified SLP.

Continuing Education

An individual holding a Statement of Professional Recognition must obtain four college credits or four licensure renewal credits from an approved Iowa agency.

Agency Oversight

Iowa Department of Education, Early Childhood


For further information regarding audiologists and speech-language pathologists working in the early intervention setting, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners