Connecticut Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.


Audiologists in public schools are contract employees and do not fall under specific teacher requirements of the Connecticut State Department of Education. State licensure, issued by the Connecticut State Department of Health, is typically required for practice in the schools. Contact the board for additional information. 

Speech-Language Pathologist

Special Services Certificate – Speech and Language Pathologist (#061)

This certificate is required for anyone serving in the employ of a board of education as a speech and language pathologist.

Initial Educator Certificate

  • Valid license from the Connecticut Department of Public Health;
  • Institutional recommendation based on completion of a state-approved certification program specific to speech and language pathology at a regionally accredited college or university which includes:
    • Three semester hours of credit in curriculum and methods of providing clinical services to children with communication impairments in schools from
    • Six semester hours of credit in professional education, including course work in such areas as:
      • Foundations of education;
      • Psychology: child, educational, developmental, adolescent, or cognitive learning;
      • Classroom instruction and management, bilingual/bicultural education, reading, curriculum development or behavioral management;
    • A minimum of six semester hours of credit and no more than 12 semester hours of credit in supervised observation, participation and full-time student teaching. Must include at least 100 clock hours of supervised clinical practice for a board of education; and
  • A course of study in special education comprised of not fewer than 36 clock hours, including study in: understanding the growth and development of exceptional children, handicapped and gifted and talented children, and methods for identifying, planning for, and working effectively with special-needs children in the regular classroom.

Note: An Interim Educator Certificate may be issued at the initial or provisional level and is valid for one calendar year. There are two types of interim educator certificates: the nonrenewable Interim Educator Certificate and the Interim Educator Certificate. The nonrenewable Interim Educator Certificate is issued with Connecticut test deferrals and/or specific course deficiencies. The Interim Educator Certificate is issued with specific course deficiencies.

Provisional Educator Certificate

To receive a provisional educator certificate for speech and language pathology, an applicant shall present evidence of meeting the specific requirements for an initial educator certificate, in addition to meeting the following requirements:

  • Has successfully completed the BEST assessment and 10 months of successful teaching under the initial educator certificate/interim educator certificate; or
  • Has completed, within 10 years prior to application, at least 30 school months of successful teaching in a subject area or field appropriate to the subject area or field for which the provisional educator certificate is sought, in a public, approved nonpublic school or nonpublic school approved by the appropriate governing body in another state; or
  • Has served a board of education successfully under a provisional teaching or provisional educator certificate for the school year immediately preceding application. The subject area or field taught during the preceding year shall be the same for which provisional educator certification is sought; and
  • Presents a valid license from the Connecticut Department of Health Services to practice speech-language pathology.

Professional Educator Certificate

To receive a professional educator certificate as a speech-language pathologist, an applicant shall present evidence of having completed 30 school months of successful teaching under the provisional educator certificate, interim educator certificate, or provisional teaching certificate.

Citation: Conn. Agencies Regs. §10-145d-544

Continuing Education Requirement

Thirty hours are required every three years.

Emergency Certification

Durational Shortage Area Permits (DSAS) may be granted for one year and renewable for an additional one or two years. Individuals must evidence a bachelor's degree, have completed 12 credits in the designated area, and must be enrolled in a planned program to achieve full certification.

Regulatory Oversight

Connecticut Department of Health


For further information on laws and regulations for school-based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit this website: 

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners