West Virginia Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The following information summarizes the requirements currently necessary to begin work in the public school system as an audiologist or speech-language pathologist.

This information has been collected by researching individual state department of education regulations and policy documents, state administrative code provisions, and by contacting each state department of education. Please be advised that regulations and policy may change at any time, so always check with your state department of education for the most up-to-date information.


Audiologists in the public schools are contract employees and do not fall under specific teacher requirements of the state Department of Education. State licensure issued by the West Virginia Board of Examiners Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology is typically required for practice in the schools.

Speech-Language Pathologist

Initial Student Support Certificate (valid three years)

  1. Master's degree—completion of approved program in speech-language pathology from an accredited institution of higher education
  2. Passing score on the Praxis Exam

Professional Student Support Certificate (valid five years)

  1. Satisfy requirements for Initial Certificate;
  2. Two years of experience under the Initial Certificate, one of which must be completed in West Virginia;
  3. Hold a master's degree plus 30 salary classification (30 semester hours of approved graduate classes), or have completed six semester hours of appropriate coursework reflecting a 3.0 GPA and related to the public school program; and
  4. Recommendation of Superintendent.

Permanent Professional Student Support Certificate (valid for life)

  1. Hold or be eligible for the five-year Professional Certificate;
  2. Complete five years of educational experience including two within the specialization for which the permanent certificate is requested;
  3. Recommendation of Superintendent.

Continuing Education Requirement

Renewal of the Professional Student Support Certificate requires six semester hours (at least 3.0 GPA) every five years, or granting of a master's degree plus 30 salary classification (30 semester hours of approved graduate classes), and recommendation of the superintendent. Persons age 60 and over are not required to complete additional renewal credit.


The information contained herein was collected and summarized annually. For detailed information on teacher certification requirements, contact the state department of education and visit this website:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners