Connecticut Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.


State License

  1. Doctorate degree required if graduated on or after January 1, 2007, from a program accredited by the education standards board of ASHA or its successor organization, Accreditation Commission for Audiology Education (ACAE), or another organization recognized by U.S. Department of Education.
  2. Passage of a written exam

State licensure issued by Connecticut Department of Public Health is typically required for practice in the schools.

Speech-Language Pathologist

State License and Additional Requirements

Initial Educator Certificate

State License: 

  1. Present a valid license or other appropriate authorization from the Connecticut Department of Health Services to practice speech pathology
  2. Master's or doctorate degree in speech-language pathology or audiology from a program accredited, at the time of the applicant's graduation, by the Educational Standards Board of ASHA
  3. A minimum of 36 weeks and 1,080 hours of full-time employment or a minimum of 48 weeks and 1,440 hours of part-time employment under the supervision of a licensed speech-language pathologist or audiologist
  4. Passage of the NTE Specialty Area Test in speech and language pathology administered by the Educational Testing Service
  5. Completion of a minimum of three semester hours of credit in curriculum and methods of providing clinical services to children with communication impairments in schools
  6. Minimum of six semester hours of credit in professional education, including course work in such areas as: 
    • Foundations of Education 
    • Psychology (child, educational, developmental, adolescent, or cognitive learning) 
    • Classroom Instruction and Management, Bilingual/Bicultural Education, Reading, Curriculum Development, or Behavioral Management
  7. Completion of supervised observation, participation, and full-time responsible student teaching totaling at least six, but not more than 12, semester hours of credit. The student teaching requirement may be satisfied by completing a minimum of 100 clock hours of supervised clinical practice in the employ of a board of education.
  8. A course of study in special education comprised of not fewer than 36 clock hours, including study in: understanding the growth and development of exceptional children, handicapped and gifted and talented children, and methods for identifying, planning for, and working effectively with special-needs children in the regular classroom.

Note: An Interim Educator Certificate may be issued at the initial or provisional level and is valid for one calendar year. There are two types of interim educator certificates: the nonrenewable interim educator certificate and the interim educator certificate. The nonrenewable interim educator certificate is issued with Connecticut test deferrals and/or specific course deficiencies. The interim educator certificate is issued with specific course deficiencies.

Provisional Educator Certificate

  • Has successfully completed the BEST assessment and 10 months of successful teaching under the initial educator certificate/interim educator certificate or
  • Has completed, within 10 years prior to application, at least 30 school months in a public or approved nonpublic school or
  • Has served a board of education successfully under a provisional teaching or provisional educator certificate for the school year immediately preceding application and
    Presents a valid license from the Connecticut Department of Health Services to practice speech-language pathology

Professional Educator Certificate

To receive a professional educator certificate as a speech-language pathologist, an applicant shall present evidence of having completed 30 school months of successful teaching under the provisional educator certificate, interim educator certificate, or provisional teaching certificate.

Continuing Education Requirement

Thirty hours are required every three years.

Emergency Certification

Durational Shortage Area Permits (DSAS) may be granted for one year and renewable for an additional one or two years. Individuals must evidence a bachelor's degree, have completed 12 credits in the designated area, and must be enrolled in a planned program to achieve full certification.


For further information on laws and regulations for school-based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners