Alaska Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Audiologist/Speech-Language Pathologist

  • Special Services Certificate (Type C) Endorsed in Speech, Language, or Hearing
  • Master's or higher degree with a major emphasis in speech-language pathology, audiology, or speech-language and hearing science or a Certificate of Clinical Competence from ASHA
  • Recommendation for endorsement by an institution with a program approved by NCATE or ASHA
  • Six semester hours or nine quarter hours taken within the past five years
  • Three semester hours of approved Alaska studies and three semester hours of multicultural education or cross-cultural communications

Temporary Certification

Applicants who do not meet the requirements of six semester hours of credit earned in the prior five years, but who meet other requirements, may be eligible to apply for a Temporary Certificate (valid for one year).

Provisional Certification

Applicants meeting all other requirements for certification, but lack six (6) semester hours of credit earned during the five-year period preceding the date of application, or lack three semester hours in Alaska studies and/or three semester hours in multicultural education or cross-cultural education, may apply for a Provisional Certificate.

Continuing Education Requirement

Six semester hours of credit or nine quarter hours of credit, earned from a regionally accredited university are required every five years. At least three semester hours must be upper division or graduate level credit.

Emergency Certification

At the request of a school district seeking to employ a person in a position for which a special services certificate (emergency Type C) is required, the commissioner may issue an emergency special services certificate (Type C), valid for a period not to exceed the end of the school year in which it is issued, to a person not otherwise qualified if the district demonstrates to the satisfaction of the commissioner that, despite diligent efforts, including advertising in one or more newspapers of general circulation, it has been unable to fill the position with a qualified person holding the required certificate


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners