2020 Convention Cancelled (As of July 10, 2020)
We are sorry to announce that the 2020 ASHA Convention, scheduled for November 19–21 in San Diego, California, has been cancelled. This decision was made in partnership with our host destination, San Diego. Please read our
Interested in research and attending the ASHA Convention? Apply for the ARTA, which opens April 1!
Past awardees have said
- "My favorite part of the ARTA program was getting the chance to meet and talk to other PhD students who share my interests in audiology. Building connections with others who are close to my stage in their programs will be mutually beneficial in the future, and it's helpful to hear that other students are having similar experiences in their own programs."
- "I really enjoyed getting to spend time with ASHA leaders."
- "One of the best things about the ARTA was the knowledge gained about ASHA resources and all of the required events at which we were able to network with peers and current professionals."
- "I found it very helpful to hear about the career paths of other professionals, especially how some were able to gain experience in both clinical and research settings."
ASHA sponsors the Audiology/Hearing Science Research Travel Award (ARTA) for audiology students interested in expanding their knowledge of research in audiology and/or hearing by attending the
ASHA Annual Convention in November. Experience the excitement of learning and sharing with others in attendance!
- Learn about the latest research in audiology
- Make connections with leaders in the profession
- Meet and network with peers
- Learn about mechanisms and strategies to further research interests
- Experience the excitement of the ASHA Convention
An individual is eligible to apply if he or she has not previously won this award and is enrolled in one of the following by the date of the annual Convention:
- a research doctoral degree program (e.g., PhD) focusing on audiology, tinnitus, balance, or hearing science
- a postdoctoral fellowship program focused on audiology, tinnitus, balance, or hearing science
- a combined clinical doctoral/research doctoral degree program (e.g., AuD/PhD) in audiology or hearing science where the clinical doctoral degree program is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology
- a clinical doctoral degree program (e.g., AuD) accredited by the CAA
Additionally, individuals may only apply to one of the following per year:
- Audiology Students at the ASHA Convention,
- Audiology/Hearing Science Research Travel Award (ARTA),
- Minority Student Leadership Program (MSLP), and
- Research Mentoring-Pair Travel Award (RMPTA).
current and former ARTA Award recipients.
Up to 20 individuals will each receive a stipend of $500 and complimentary registration for the ASHA Annual Convention. Responsibilities include attendance at the following key, pre-selected events and sessions. Awardees should plan to attend from Wednesday
at 5:00 p.m. through Saturday afternoon.
- PhD Information Sharing Session (Wednesday 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.) This session is an informal discussion/networking opportunity for PhD students.
- Researcher-Academic Town Meeting (dinner provided) (PhD Students only) (Wednesday 6:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.)
- ARTA Breakfast (breakfast provided) (Thursday 6:45 a.m. – 8:00 a.m.)
- Opening Session (Thursday 8:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.)
- Foundation Breakfast (Friday 6:30 a.m.)
- Research Symposium on Hearing (Friday 10:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.)
- Awards Ceremony on Friday evening (6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.)
- PhD Information Sharing Session (lunch provided) (Saturday 12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.). This session is an informal discussion/networking opportunity for students interested in or currently enrolled in a PhD program.
Other Convention opportunities of interest include
- First Timers' Orientation (Wednesday 5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.)
- Welcome Reception in Exhibit Hall/ARM Networking Meet & Greet (Thursday evening, TBD)
- Research Roundtables (lunch provided) on Friday (12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.)
- SIGnificant Luncheon (lunch provided) (Friday 12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.)
- “Hear, Here!" Audiology Open House (Friday 8:30 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.)
- NIDCD-funded Research Symposium (Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.)
- Closing Party (Saturday 6:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.)
How to Apply
Applicants must complete an online application form, upload several PDF documents, and submit the entire application package by the established deadline. See the
application instructions for details on required documents and the application deadline.
If you are a student with an interest in clinical service provision, please contact
firstname.lastname@example.org for information regarding the Clinical Audiology Students at ASHA Convention (CLASA) program.
Interested in serving as a reviewer? At a minimum, reviewers must hold a PhD and have a faculty appointment. Additional requirements may apply. Contact email@example.com