It is the mission of SIG 18 to provide education, leadership, and advocacy for issues in telepractice for audiology and speech-language pathology.
- To provide resources and education related to telepractice for audiology and speech-language pathology.
- To promote excellence in evidence-based clinical practice in telepractice for audiology and speech-language pathology.
- To promote the development and dissemination of research in telepractice for audiology and speech-language pathology.
- To advocate for professionals who wish to engage in telepractice for audiology and speech-language pathology, including adequate provider reimbursement.
- To serve as the voice within ASHA that will promote, interpret, and disseminate information that is relevant to telepractice for audiology and speech-language pathology and serve as a conduit for transmission of information and ideas among Special Interest Group affiliates.
- To provide an opportunity for affiliates to identify others with interest in telepractice for audiology and speech-language pathology and engage in ongoing communication and mentoring.
- To serve as ASHA's subject matter experts when it liaises with other professional organizations interested in telepractice, including the American Telemedicine Association, Rehabilitation Engineering Society of America, American Occupational Therapy Association, American Physical Therapy Association, and others.
- To increase active involvement of ASHA members.
Affiliate Benefits and SIG Programs
Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups
Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups is the online peer-reviewed scholarly review journal of the SIGs. SIG 18 offers new self-study CE activities through Perspectives each year.
SIGs sponsor live online chats. These events feature topic experts who answer questions from the audience. All ASHA and NSSLHA members may attend. Live online chats are not eligible for CEUs. Archived chats can be accessed online.
Earn ASHA continuing education units (CEUs) through
- Self-study of Perspectives and pay the lowest processing fee to take the learning assessments
- SIG sponsored Master Classes and one-hour sessions at the annual ASHA Convention.
SIG 18 Affiliates have access to exclusive discussion forums/groups, which provide the opportunity to interact with other SIG Affiliates who share interest in telepractice. Use ASHA's Member Directory to search for individuals by SIG affiliation. In addition, SIG 18 Affiliates can meet in person and online at an ASHA and SIG sponsored events; typically each SIG hosts an Affiliates meeting at Convention and sponsors a virtual open house.
Representation Within ASHA
- The SIG 18 Coordinator represents the Special Interest Group within the ASHA Board of Special Interest Group Coordinators.
- The Coordinating Committee responds to ASHA requests for input regarding policy, guidelines, committees, and other issues.
- Affiliates have the opportunity to provide input to the SIG leadership and ASHA.
Coordinating Committee Members
- 2020–2022 Coordinator: Joneen Lowman, University of Kentucky
- 2021–2023 Associate Coordinator: Tracy J. Sippl, S&L Teletherapy Consulting, LLC
- 2020–2022 Editor: Geralyn M. Schulz, George Washington University
- 2021–2023 Professional Development Manager: Lindsay James Riegler, Cincinnati VA Medical Center
- 2020–2022 Member-at-Large: Traci M. Bean, Total Education Solutions – TES Therapy
- 2019–2021 Member-at-Large: Dorothy A. Townsend, Shasta View Speech Center
- Ex Officio: Rebecca C. Politis, Associate Director, Health Care Services in Speech-Language Pathology, ASHA
Additional SIG Volunteers
- 2021–2023 Continuing Education (CE) Content Manager: Lesley C. Edwards-Gaither, George Washington University
View the Editorial Board Roster for Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups .
Professional Development Committee
- Lindsay James Riegler, Professional Development Manager
- Lesley C. Edwards-Gaither, CE Content Manager
- Nathan H. Curtis
- Laura E. Lenkey
- Jane M. Martinez
- Geralyn M. Schulz, Editor
- Rebecca C. Politis, Ex Officio
Liaisons to the ASHA Board of Directors
- Sharon Sandridge, 2019–2021 Vice President for Audiology Practice
- Linda I. Rosa-Lugo, 2021–2023 Vice President for Speech-Language Pathology Practice