In the process of creating these developmental milestones checklists, ASHA consulted subject-matter experts and relied heavily on research, evidence, and expert recommendations. Please note the following important details:
- Each milestone is supported by research.
- The communication (hearing, speech, and language) milestones and cutoffs are for American English speakers. Speech-language development for children who speak languages outside of spoken American English may follow a different sequence or have different rates of mastery by age range.
- Subject-matter experts reviewed the milestones in each area, and ASHA incorporated their comments.
- The communication (hearing, speech, and language) milestones checklist shows the ages by which at least 75% of American English–speaking children have developed communication (hearing, speech, and language) skills.
- The feeding and swallowing milestones checklist reflects the ages by which at least 75% of children worldwide have mastered the skills. These milestones are based on international data and are consistent across country of origin or language spoken. A Spanish translation is also available of ASHA's Feeding and Swallowing Milestones.
- ASHA will review and update these milestones at least every 5 years.
Feeding and Swallowing Milestones