The Higher Education Data System

The Higher Education Data System - HES

What is the HES?

The Higher Education Data System (HES) is an innovative online system that allows academic programs in communication sciences and disorders (CSD) to directly input their responses to ASHA and Council of Academic Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders (CAPCSD) surveys and Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) applications and annual reports. Some of the survey responses serve to create a program profile for graduate level programs in CSD in ASHA's search engine, EdFind.

The HES was developed by ASHA in collaboration with CAPCSD and CAA to collect and report critical CSD program data in a consistent and usable manner.

Who can participate in the HES?

Institutions offering any CSD degree program at the undergraduate through the PhD level are invited to participate in the ASHA and CAPCSD sponsored HES surveys. Institutions with CSD entry-level graduate degree programs in audiology and/or speech-language pathology that are CAA accredited (or in candidacy for accreditation) are required to complete the CAA Accreditation Application or Annual Report via the HES system.

How can the HES help academic programs?

The HES allows programs to complete surveys, applications, and reports online; access aggregate national and individual state program data; and give potential students up-to-date program information through EdFind.

What is EdFind?

EdFind is ASHA's public web-based search engine for learning about undergraduate and graduate programs in CSD. With over 300 institutions offering degree programs in audiology, speech-language pathology, and speech, language and hearing science, EdFind offers convenient and personalized searches on academic programs and the ability to generate customized CSD program lists at no charge.

How often and when are data in the HES updated?

For the annual schedule, visit the About the CSD Education Survey webpage.

If I am an academic program director, how do I access the HES?

If you are an academic program director of a bachelor's, master's, clinical doctoral, and/or research doctoral degree program in CSD and would like more information about how to access the HES, please contact the HES Manager at

ASHA Corporate Partners