The MSLP will not take place in 2021. Instead, the MSLP will sponsor a series of virtual student leadership development opportunities. More information to follow.
Please submit your completed Minority Student Leadership Program online application documents in PDF format only.
- Complete the online application form.
- Submit a 500-word essay describing:
- how you have acquired and demonstrated leadership; and
- what do you still need to develop as a leader.
- Submit a statement of good standing.
- For students currently enrolled in a CSD program, your statement must be on your CSD department letterhead and should specify your status in the program. This document can come from the program chair or the registrar. Please do not include your transcript.
- For students who will begin their graduate program in the fall, please submit a copy of your graduate school acceptance letter.
- Submit a leadership resume not to exceed 2 pages that includes extracurricular activities and highlights your leadership experiences.
Submission Deadline: The MSLP application process will not take place in 2021.
Due to conflicting awardee requirements on-site at the ASHA Convention, applicants may only apply to one of the following programs per year.
By submitting an application for the Minority Student Leadership Program, you are no longer eligible to apply for the remaining programs.
Up to forty students are chosen to participate. MSLP applications are reviewed by a 3-reviewer panel of ASHA members and rated on the following:
- Essay: Use of description, strong argument/thesis, clarity, organization, and grammar and punctuation
- Resume: Involvement in university/community activities and leadership experience
Applicants are selected and notified in August and September.
Students are expected to fully participate in all required MSLP activities. During the MSLP, you will be expected to:
- Identify the values leaders need, describe core leadership practices, and explore leadership roles.
- Observe the ASHA leadership at work.
- Explore the multicultural implications of leadership and governance in ASHA.
- Become acquainted with and have direct contact with ASHA leaders.
- Develop a list of prospective mentors and serve as a peer mentor.
Does ASHA provide transportation during the Convention?
Shuttle bus service will be provided Thursday through Saturday.
What is the attire for the Convention?
The attire for the Convention is business casual, but you may be expected to dress professionally depending on the activities you plan to participate in (e.g., interviews with prospective employers or graduate programs). In addition, at least one MSLP activity will require business attire.
What do participants need to bring to the Convention?
- A resume if you are looking for a job. The Career Fair is a great place to start your employment search. To learn more about the Career Fair and to preregister, visit ASHA's Career Center.
- Preprinted address labels or business cards. You will be asked to complete raffles and surveys and to sign up for mailing lists. Make life easier and have preprinted labels or business cards ready.
- A good pair of walking shoes. You will do a lot of walking. Make sure that you are comfortable.
- A positive attitude. A Convention is a major undertaking and not everything goes as planned. Don't get flustered if you can't find the room for a session or if the hours for a poster session that you are interested in have been changed. Simply locate a NSSLHA or ASHA information booth and someone will direct you to where you want to go.
What is the first thing I should do when I arrive at the Convention?
If you have preregistered for the Convention, you will receive your badge in the mail beforehand. When you arrive at the Convention, you can immediately enjoy the exhibits and other services available to Convention registrants.
Will I have time to explore the Convention city?
There is very little time available to participate in non-Convention activities. The purpose for attending the Convention is to network, learn more about the professions, and gain access to information and opportunities.
For more information, e-mail email@example.com.