Engage on Social Media
Your legislators are on social media operating their own Facebook page and posting tweets on their latest activities. Follow them to stay up-to-date.
If a legislator takes a photo with you, then you can post it on your personal social media profile (e.g., Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter). Regardless of the platform, post etiquette remains the same: professional.
Learn more about social media and promoting civility.
- Use their Facebook or Twitter handle (e.g., @RepMcKinley).
- They may have a different handle for Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
- Thank them for meeting with you.
- A simple “thank you” can go a long way in building a special relationship with your representative.
- Mention the issues you talked about.
- Representatives have a lot of issues on their plate. Make sure you reiterate what issues you discussed with them.
- Tag @ASHAAdvocacy so we can share your post!
- This is ASHA’s favorite kind of content! We love posting our members activities on social media.
Here’s an example of an appropriate message to a member of Congress:
ASHA wants to hear from those who are providing audiology or speech-language pathology services. Your stories can help ASHA make a difference on Capitol Hill.