Infants, Toddlers and Preschoolers
ASHA Documents Related to Early Intervention
Additional ASHA References Related to Early Intervention
Related Resources and Links
- Regional Resource Center Program's Key Principles of Early Intervention and Effective Practices: A Crosswalk with Statements from Discipline-specific Literature [PDF]. This resource was designed to assist state IDEA Part C programs, service providers affiliated with professional organizations, and technical assistance providers in understanding the alignment between the key principles for providing early intervention services in natural environments, and statements from various professional organizations (i.e., ASHA, AOTA, APTA, AAP, AAID, DEC, NAEYC, and NASP) that support the provision of Part C early intervention services.
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004 [PDF]
- Part C, Birth-Six Program
- Early Head Start National Resource Center
- Head Start: Education and Early Childhood Development
- State Early Childhood Education Contacts:
A listing of Part C coordinators in each state from the National Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center.
- National Outcomes Measurement Data
Find data on the incidence and prevalence of communication disorders among children as well as reports on special populations.
ASHA Products for Consumers
Beyond Baby Talk
When will my infant speak? What should my child's first words be? In Beyond Baby Talk (2001, Prima Publishing), Kenn Apel and Julie Masterson answer these questions (and many more!) while covering the stages of speech and language development for infants, babies, toddlers and preschoolers-in essence, the first years of a child's life.
Audiology Information Series: Early Hearing Detection and Intervention for Newborns and Infants [PDF]
Browse ASHA's Online Store brochures and booklets related to infants and toddlers. For example Getting Ready for Reading and Writing (brochure).
Talking on the Go
Talking On the Go, by Dorothy Dougherty and Diane Paul, provides everyday activities to enhance speech and language development in the areas of building vocabulary, listening and speech production, reading and writing readiness, and participation in conversations.
Speech, Language, and Hearing Milestones: Birth to Age Five DVD
This DVD provides examples of typical speech, language, and hearing development and tips on when to seek treatment from speech-language pathologists and audiologists.