What should I do if I think that my child may have a speech, language, or hearing problem?

[en Español]

If you think your child may have a speech, language, or hearing problem, you can contact an ASHA-certified:

Audiologist — audiologists specialize in prevention, diagnosis, identification, and non-medical treatment of individuals with hearing loss and balance disorders.

Speech-language pathologist — speech-language pathologists (SLPs) help people develop their communication abilities as well as treat speech, languages, swallowing, and voice disorders. Their services include prevention, identification, evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation.

Speech-language pathologists and audiologists who are certified by ASHA have completed their master's or doctoral degree and earned ASHA's Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC).

Speech-language pathologists and audiologists work in many different types of facilities:

  • clinics
  • colleges and universities
  • home health
  • hospitals
  • industry
  • nursing care facilities
  • private practices
  • public and private schools
  • rehabilitation centers
  • state and federal government agencies
  • state and local health departments

To contact a speech-language pathologist or audiologist, visit ASHA ProFind.