Perspectives on Dysphagia and Implications for Treatment
This course includes three recorded sessions from ASHA’s
2018 Health Care Connect conference, held in July in Baltimore, Maryland. These
sessions explore various perspectives on dysphagia, including viewing abnormal
swallowing through a physiological lens, muscle strengthening exercise as a
part of dysphagia treatment, and the key role of oral health and oral care
protocols. Each of the sessions also presents practical clinical implications of
these perspectives for dysphagia treatment.
The three sessions are:
- The Physiology Behind Abnormal Swallowing, by Ianessa Humbert, PhD, CCCSLP
- Muscle Strengthening Approaches to Dysphagia Rehabilitation, by Nicole Rogus-Pulia,
PhD, CCC-SLP (120 minutes)
- Oral Care: Optimizing Outcomes for Patients With Dysphagia, by Nicole Rogus-Pulia,
PhD, CCC-SLP (83 minutes)
You will be able to:
- provide a physiological rationale for
specific swallowing treatments to target each impaired swallowing event
- describe key components necessary to achieve
maximal effects of muscle strength training as part of dysphagia treatment
- assess the efficacy of various oral care
protocols in patients with dysphagia and challenges associated with protocol
What is Included?
You'll get online access to all the course content, including the full video, handouts, and references so you can access it from anywhere!
Self-assessment—Think about what you learned and report on the Completion Form how you will use your new knowledge.