Wisconsin Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school-based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Note: Changes and additions were made to licensure requirements and processes as part of the 2015 state budget (2015 Act 55). The Wisconsin Department of Instruction is working to understand the changes and create new procedures to implement the legislation. New information will be posted on the DPI website and on the Teacher Education, Professional Development, and Licensing (TEPDL) blog.


School Audiologist (5-year renewable license)

The state superintendent may issue a school audiologist license to an applicant who meets one of the following requirements:

  • The applicant meets all of the following requirements:
    • Completed 50 hours of a supervised practicum providing audiology services in a school setting, or equivalent experience while employed as a school audiologist by a public school, private school, or school district;
    • Possesses either a doctorate of audiology, or, if earned before August 31, 2018, a master's degree or higher in audiology from an institution accredited by the Council of Academic Accreditation (CAA);
    • Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of the following:
      • Pupil Services standards (PI 34.004)
      • Educational psychology, including principles and theories of learning.
      • Procedures in school audiology programs including school pupil services programs. This requirement may be met by prior experience upon the recommendation of the institution.
      • Alternative communication systems including signed language systems, their implications for the social, emotional, and educational development of children, and methods for effective communication with children who use them.


  • Holds a valid audiologist license issued by the department of safety and professional services.


Wisconsin State Legislature. PI 34.090 School audiologist, 5-year renewable license. [Admin. Code PI §34.090]

Continuing Education Requirement

One of the following requirements:

  • A valid audiologist license issued by the department of safety and professional services; or
  • certified as an audiologist by the American Speech Language Hearing Association, American Academy of Audiology, or an affiliated audiology credentialing board.

Emergency Certification/Audiology Permit

A district administrator may request a one-year school audiologist permit, which authorizes the holder to be employed as a school audiologist, may be issued to a person who has a master's degree in audiology from any accredited institution and who seeks a license as a school audiologist but does not meet all the license requirements. A request for this permit must be accompanied by a written explanation detailing the search for a fully qualified individual. A permit under this subsection is valid for a period not to exceed one year, unless an earlier expiration is stated in the permit.

Speech-Language Pathology (PreK–12)

The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction provides two options for licensure for someone to provide speech and language services to students in a Wisconsin public school.

Tier I 1-year License:

  • Hold a Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS) license; and
  • Hold a master’s degree in communication disorders.
  • Has not yet completed a school speech and language teacher training program.

These candidates may be eligible for the 1-year license with stipulations as a school speech and language pathologist. This license is renewable for a maximum of three school years during which time the candidate must complete:

  1. a state-approved program as a school speech and language pathologist and be eligible for endorsement; or
  2. the statutory stipulations: minority group relations; conflict resolution; teacher responsibilities, including student teaching; children with disabilities; and professional ethics, including mandatory reporting requirement

Tier II Provisional License:

  • Hold a master’s degree in communication disorders and completed a Wisconsin DPI approved program as a school speech and language pathologist; or
  • Hold a master’s degree in communication disorders and completed a state-approved school speech and language pathology program in another state, which includes a clinical placement in the school setting; or
  • Hold a master’s degree in communication disorders and completed the requirements of Wis. Admin. Code sec. PI 34.047 (4).


Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, Guidance for License for School Speech and Language Pathologists:
Wisconsin State Legislature. PI 34.047 Prekindergarten through grade 12. [Admin. Code PI §34.047(3)(m)]

Continuing Education Requirement

Successful completion of a Professional Development Plan.

Emergency Certification

An emergency permit may be issued to an individual with at least a bachelor's degree in communication disorders at the request of an employing administrator. This permit may be renewed if the individual completes six semester credits toward the completion of an approved program.

Regulatory Oversight


For further information on laws and regulations for school-based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners