Washington Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school-based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Audiologist and Speech-Language Pathologist

School Speech-Language Pathologist/Audiologist (Initial Certificate) Meet the following requirements:

  • Hold a master's degree from a college or university program accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA) with a major in speech pathology or audiology.

    The graduate program must include thesatisfactory completion of a written comprehensive examination. If any candidate has not completed a written comprehensive examination, the candidate may present verification from ASHA of a passing score on the National Teacher's Examination in speech pathology or audiology as a condition for certification.

  • Complete the professional transitions to public schools course work under WAC 181-79A-224.

School Speech Language Pathologist/Audiologist (Continuing Certificate)

  • Hold a master's degree in speech pathology or audiology.

    Complete two years full-time equivalency (FTE) in the role in Washington with a school district, state-approved private school, or state agency that provides educational services for students.

  • Completed the requirements for the initial certificate as a speech language pathologist or audiologist and have completed 150 continuing education credit hours related to speech language pathology, audiology, other health sciences, or education since the first issuance of the initial certificate.

Citation: Wash. Admin. Code § 181-79A-223 

Limited Conditional Certificate (valid for 2 years or less)

  • Conditional certificates are issued to persons in the following categories (only if no person with regular certification is available):
  • The applicant has completed a bachelor's degree or higher from a regionally accredited college/university. All speech-language pathologists or audiologists providing services under a current and valid conditional certificate issued as of June 30, 2003, will be fully qualified consistent with WAC 181-79A-223 by the year 2010. First conditional certificates, issued to speech-language pathologists or audiologists after June 30, 2003, which are valid for up to two years, may be reissued once for up to two years, if the individual provides evidence that they are enrolled in and completing satisfactory progress in a master's degree program resulting in the initial ESA school speech-language pathologists or audiologist certificate.

Citation: Wash. Admin. Code § 181-79A-231 

Emergency Certification (valid for 1 year or less)

  • (3)(a) Emergency certification for the roles of principal, teacher, school counselor, school psychologist, school speech language pathologist or audiologist and school social worker may be issued upon the recommendation of school district and educational service district superintendents or approved private school administrators to persons who hold a bachelor's degree and are enrolled in a state-approved preparation program for the role.

Citation: Wash. Admin. Code § 181-79A-231 

Continuing Education Requirement

  • Must complete 100 clock hours or equivalent college credits or PGP or a combination of any of the three options; OR 
  • Submit a copy of a valid Clinical Competence in Audiology (CCC-A) or Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP) certificate issued by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) in lieu of clock hours, credits, or PGPs. 

Board Oversight

Washington Board of Hearing and Speech


For further information on laws and regulations for school-based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Affairs Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners