Pennsylvania Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school based audiologists and/or speech-language pathologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.


Audiologists in the public schools are contract employees and do not fall under specific teacher requirements of the State Department of Education. State licensure issued by the Pennsylvania Department of State, Bureau of Professional & Occupational Affairs, State Board of Examiners in Speech-Language and Hearing is typically required for practice in the schools.

Speech-Language Pathologist

Teacher Certification–Special Education Speech-Language Pathologist Impaired PK-12

  • Completion of an approved Pennsylvania Instructional Special Education – Speech/Language Impaired PK-12 program (master's degree)
  • Passing score on PRAXIS I [Fundamental Subjects Content Knowledge (5511/0511)]
  • Passing score on PRAXIS II (5331)
  • Instructional I - Initial certificate

Speech-Language Pathologist Educational Specialist Certificate PK-12

Pennsylvania Special Education Speech and Language Impaired Instructional I or II holders do not need this certificate. You are already certified.

  1. Master's degree in speech-language pathology
  2. Passing score on PRAXIS II (5331)  
  3. Practicum must have school aged children.
  4. Education Specialist 1

Apply if you are:

  • a professionally licensed Pennsylvania speech-language pathologist
  • Pennsylvania Educational Specialist Speech-Language Pathologist approved program graduates

In state

  1. Completion of a Pennsylvania educational specialist speech-language pathology program, and
  2. Either a current Pennsylvania speech-language pathology state license

Out of state

  • Completion of an out-of-state clinical program leading to state and/or ASHA certification (not a school program)
  • Pennsylvania clinical program leading to state and/or ASHA certification (not a school program)

Continuing Education Requirement

All teachers must complete 180 hours of continuing education (or six graduate-level courses) within a five-year period to maintain teacher certification. Each individual school district makes the determination as to what constitutes an acceptable activity. Act 48 continuing professional education requirements for school and system leaders and educators have been suspended for two years, effective August 29, 2011.

Emergency Certification

An emergency permit may be issued by the Department upon the request of the employing public school entity when a position has been advertised and no fully qualified and properly certificated applicant is available. The candidate for an emergency permit must have earned a bachelor's degree from a state-approved college or university and must meet all other eligibility requirements related to age, citizenship, mental and physical health, and good moral character.

Regulatory Oversight


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners