Minnesota Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.


Audiologists in the public schools are contract employees and do not fall under specific teacher requirements of the state Department of Education. State licensure issued by Minnesota Department of Health is typically required for practice in the schools.

Speech-Language Pathologist

Professional License

Possess a master's degree in speech-language pathology from an ASHA-accredited program or evidence of a valid CCC in speech-language pathology from ASHA.

Citation: Minn. R. 8710.6000

Continuing Education Requirement

125 clock hours and mandatory requirements in place at the time of renewal are required every five years.

Regulatory Oversight


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners