Maine Licensing Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Initial Licensure

Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology

  1. Master's degree or doctoral degree from a Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA) accredited program or a degree determined by the Board of Speech, Audiology and Hearing (Board) to be substantially equivalent and consistent with the requirements for the ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) or other organization approved by the Board
  2. Supervised clinical practicum (requirements mirror ASHA CCC required) or substantial equivalent
  3. For speech-language pathology, completion of a clinical fellowship substantially equivalent to requirements of a 36-week clinical fellowship in ASHA CCC requirements
  4. Passing score on the Praxis exam
  5. A master's, doctoral, or equivalent degree from an accredited institution and a valid ASHA CCC.

Note: Audiologists may dispense hearing aids under an audiology license.


  1. Physicians 
  2. Hearing aid dealers
  3. Persons credentialed as a speech-language or hearing clinician issued by the Department of Education within a local educational agency
  4. Federal employees under the jurisdiction of the organization 
  5. Students enrolled in a course of study leading to a degree where such services are a part of the course of study.


The Board may waive the examination requirement and grant licensure to any applicant with a current license in another state, DC, or U.S. territory with standards deemed substantially equivalent by the Board.

Interim Practice

  • Applicants with a qualifying degree and a clinical fellowship supervisory plan that is substantially equivalent to the ASHA fellowship requirements may qualify for a temporary speech-language pathology temporary license (supervisor need not hold a CCC).
  • Applicants for a temporary audiology license must have the requisite degree and submit a clinical practicum supervisory plan that is substantially equivalent to the CCC (supervisor need not hold a CCC). These qualifications only apply to applicants with a master's degree who have not earned a clinical doctor of audiology degree (AuD).

Continuing Education

License renewal requires 10 hours of continuing professional education each year. Dual licensed must complete 16 hours of continuing professional education.

Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact

Maine is a member state of the Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact. Information on the current status of the ASLP-IC can be found on the ASLP-IC website.

Board Oversight

Board of Speech, Audiology and Hearing


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathologists and audiologist, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners