Idaho Licensing Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Initial Licensure

Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology

  1. Master's or doctoral degree with an emphasis in audiology or speech-language pathology from a nationally accredited school with a curriculum approved by the Board
  2. Passage of a Praxis exam
  3. Complete a supervised academic clinical practicum and supervised postgraduate professional experience approved by the Board 

Note: Audiologists may dispense hearing aids under an audiology license.


  1. Any person licensed or regulated by the state of Idaho engaging in the profession or practice for which they are licensed or regulated
  2. Any person working under the direct supervision of those persons regulated in this section, so long as such employee does not hold themself out as an audiologist, speech-language pathologist, speech-language pathology aide or assistant, hearing aid dealer or fitter, or a person engaged in the practice of audiology, speech-language pathology, or hearing aid dealing and fitting
  3. Any person working in an Idaho public school setting who has received a pupil personnel services certificate with a speech-language pathologist or audiologist endorsement, or any person working as a speech-language pathology aide or assistant in a public school setting.
  4. Persons pursuing a course of study leading to a degree in audiology, speech-language pathology, or hearing aid dealing/fitting at a college or university, provided that activities and services constitute a part of a planned course of study at that institution
  5. Persons residing in another state or country and authorized to practice audiology, speech-language pathology or hearing aid dealing and fitting who provides consultation to a state licensee or who conducts a lecture, clinic, or demonstration while engaged in consultation so long as such person does not open an office or appoint a place to meet clients or receive calls in this state


Persons licensed in another state must have a current, active license at the licensure level being sought, issued by a regulatory authority in another state; the applicant must not have been disciplined or sanctioned within the last five years nor voluntarily surrendered a license.

Interim Practice

A provisional permit is required to engage in the practice of audiology or speech-language pathology while completing the required postgraduate experience.

Continuing Education

Every person holding an Idaho license must complete 10 contact hours of continuing education annually; a maximum of five hours may be carried forward.

Effective January 1, 2021, each licensee must complete 30 contact hours of continuing education every three years.

Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact

Idaho is a member state of the Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact. Information on the current status of the ASLP-IC can be found on the ASLP-IC website.

Board Oversight

Bureau of Occupational Licenses, Speech & Hearing Services Licensure Board


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathologists and audiologist, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners