Wisconsin Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Note: Changes and additions were made to licensure requirements and processes as part of the 2015 state budget (2015 Act 55). The Wisconsin Department of Instruction is working to understand the changes and create new procedures to implement the legislation. New information will be posted on the DPI website and on the Teacher Education, Professional Development, and Licensing (TEPDL) blog.


School Audiologist

  1. Knowledge of the Wisconsin teaching, administrator and pupil services standards
  2. Educational psychology, including principles and theories of learning.
  3. Methods and procedure in school audiology programs, including the relationship with, and content of school pupil service programs. This requirement may be met by prior experience upon the recommendation of the accredited institution.
  4. Alternative communication systems, including signed language systems, their implications for the social, emotional and educational development of children, and methods for effective communication with children who use them.
  5. At least 50 hours of supervised practicum providing audiology services in a school setting, or equivalent experience while employed as a school audiologist by a public or private school or school district.
  6. A master's degree in audiology from an institution accredited by ASHA.

Continuing Education Requirement

Six semester credits or a Professional Development Plan are required every five years.

Emergency Certification/Audiology Permit

A district administrator may request a one-year school audiologist permit, which authorizes the holder to be employed as a school audiologist, may be issued to a person who has a master's degree in audiology from any accredited institution and who seeks a license as a school audiologist but does not meet all the license requirements. A request for this permit must be accompanied by a written explanation detailing the search for a fully qualified individual. A permit under this subsection is valid for a period not to exceed one year, unless an earlier expiration is stated in the permit.

Speech-Language Pathologist

In order to qualify for a speech-language pathology license, an applicant shall meet all of the following:

  • Master's degree in communicative disorders from an approved program in school speech-language pathology.
  • Training within the undergraduate and graduate program shall include a minimum of the following:
    • Speech disorders
    • Language disorders
    • Hearing disorders and hearing evaluation
    • Hearing habilitative and rehabilitative procedures
  • Professional education and training to include course work in methods and procedures in school speech-language programs and understanding and use of augmentative and nonverbal communication modes and systems
  • 350 hours of supervised practicum with 100 hours in a school setting to include experiences with a wide range of communicative disorders

Continuing Education Requirement

Successful completion of a Professional Development Plan.

Emergency Certification

An emergency permit may be issued to an individual with at least a bachelor's degree in communication disorders at the request of an employing administrator. This permit may be renewed if the individual completes six semester credits toward the completion of an approved program.


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit this website:

Teacher Education Program Approval and Licenses

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners