Vermont Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.


The Vermont Agency of Education does not have an education endorsement for audiologists. A state license is required and is issued by the Vermont Secretary of State’s Office of Professional Regulation (OPR).

Speech-Language Pathologist

Note: Per 2015 Vermont Legislation (Act 57), all clinical speech-language pathologist (SLP) and audiologist (AUD) licenses will be managed by the Vermont Secretary of State’s Office of
Professional Regulation (OPR). Those renewing their clinical licenses in 2016, 2017, or 2018 will be contacted by the OPR and informed of the clinical license renewal process.

The Agency of Education’s Office of Educator Licensing will continue to process all educational SLP Licenses.

State Licensure Plus Educational Speech-Language Pathology Endorsement

  1. Master's degree or doctoral degree speech-language pathology from an educational institution approved by ASHA
  2. Completion of postgraduate professional training, the length and content of which shall comply with standards established by ASHA
  3. Passing scores on Praxis II examination or other examination selected by the Vermont Standards Board

Applicants who qualify for a current ASHA CCC in speech-language pathology shall be deemed to have met the above requirements.

Continuing Education Requirement

Documentation of 45 hours or 3 professional learning credits every three years for a Level I License; 90 hours or 6 professional learning credits for a Level II license renewal. Documentation means a copy of an ASHA or university transcript and/or a certificate of attendance. If you hold an educational SLP endorsement at least one of the three (for holders of the Level I license), or two of the six (for holders of the Level II license) professional learning credits should address the knowledge and performance standards (the "competencies") for the educational SLP endorsement. 


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners