Utah Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school-based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.


To qualify for an associate license with an associate school audiologist license area of concentration, an individual must complete a program accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology.  

 An individual that holds a current Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology (CCC-A) issued by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association meets the general licensing requirement for a professional audiologist license.

Citation: R277-306-3. School Audiologist Preparation Program [PDF]

Speech-Language Pathologist

Speech-Language Pathology Educator License K–12 with Speech Endorsement

Level 1 – Speech-Language Pathology Educator License K–12 with Speech Endorsement

To qualify, an individual must obtain ASHA's Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) or a master's degree or equivalent in speech-language pathology from a nationally or regionally accredited institution and have been recommended by an institution whose program of preparation is Board-approved and accredited. License issued for 3 years. If an educator has taught for 3 years in a K–12 public education system in Utah, a Level 1 license may only be renewed if the individual has continuous experience as a speech-language pathologist in a clinical setting.

Level 2 – Speech-Language Pathologist Educator License K–12 with Speech Endorsement

After 3 years of work experience in the Utah public schools as a speech-language pathologist and completion of any additional requirements imposed by the employing LEA, the SLP must apply for level 2.

Level 3 – Communication Disorders Educator License K–12 with Speech Endorsement

Must hold a Level 2 license with speech-language pathology area of concentration and maintain ASHA CCCs. 

Continuing Education

Level 1 holders: 720 hours of half-time employment earns the full points per year of 25.

Level 2/3 holders of half-time employment earns the full points per year of 35. 

Regulatory Oversight


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners