South Dakota Licensing Requirements for Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Initial Licensure


  1. Possess a master's or doctorate degree from a regionally accredited institution
  2. Complete a supervised clinical practicum from a regionally accredited institution 
  3. Complete a period of supervised graduate professional experience as recognized by ASHA or American Academy of Audiology (AAA)
  4. Pass a national examination as recognized by ASHA or AAA

Note: Audiologists may dispense hearing aids under an audiology license.

Speech-Language Pathology

  1. Possess a master's or doctoral degree from an educational institution accredited by the accrediting agency of ASHA and from an educational institution approved by the U.S. Department of Education
  2. Complete supervised clinical practicum experiences
  3. Complete a supervised postgraduate professional experience
  4. Pass a written national exam
  5. Have committed no act for which disciplinary action may be justified


  1. Persons credentialed as teachers of the hearing impaired
  2. Physicians
  3. Students clearly designated by titles such as trainee, intern, volunteer, industrial audiometric technician or occupational hearing conservationist so long as services are provided under supervision of a licensee
  4. Any licensed person from practicing the profession for which they are licensed
  5. Certified industrial audiometric technician or occupational hearing conservationist recognized as meeting the Council for Accreditation in Occupational Hearing Conservation Standards if performed under a licensed audiologist or physician
  6. Speech-language pathology licensees from other states providing training or continuous education, agreeing to abide by the standards of professional conduct and do not engage in such activities exceeding five days in any calendar year.


  1. For audiology applicants, the Board of Hearing Aid Dispensers and Audiologists may issue a license to a person from another state if they show proof of current valid professional licensure and practice in audiology from a state with equivalent standards to those of South Dakota. 
  2. Speech-language pathology applicants licensed in other states may receive a license with proof of current licensure in a state with equivalent or greater standards, has not committed any act for which disciplinary action may be justified or holds a current Certificate of Clinical Competence from ASHA.

Interim Practice

  1. Audiology applicants completing their postgraduate professional experience must secure a provisional license; this license is valid for 1 year and may be renewed twice providing fees are paid and continuing education requirements are met; provisional licenses expire annually; practice must be under a licensed supervisor. 
  2. Speech-language pathology applicants who except for the postgraduate professional experience meet the academic, practicum and examinations requirements must submit an application including a plan for the content of the postgraduate professional experience and have not committed any act for which disciplinary action may be justified. Provisional licensees may practice only under the mentorship of a licensed speech-language pathologist.

Continuing Education

Audiology licensees must attend a minimum of 12 hours of continuing education per calendar year.

Speech-language pathology licensees must complete at least 20 contact hours of continuing education for each two-year renewal period.

Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact

South Dakota is not a member state of the Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact. Information on the current status of the ASLP-IC can be found on the ASLP-IC website.

Board Oversight

Board of Hearing Aid Dispensers and Audiologists

Board of Examiners for Speech-Language Pathology


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathologists and audiologist, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners