Rhode Island Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school-based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.


Audiologists in the public schools are contract employees and do not fall under specific teacher requirements of the state Department of Education. State licensure issued by the Department of Health is typically required for practice in the schools.

Speech-Language Pathologist

Speech and Language Pathologist Certificate Pre-K – Grade 12 

To be issued a certificate in Speech and Language Pathology an applicant must satisfy all the of the following:

  • Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution;
  • Advanced degree from a regionally accredited institution;
  • Completion of an approved program for the preparation of speech and language pathologist support professional;
  • Demonstration of meeting the Content Competencies as prescribed by the ASHA;
  • Meet all Rhode Island assessment requirements:
    • Achieve a passing score of 162 on Praxis II Speech and Language Pathologist test (5331)
  • Applicants prepared in a program where the language of instruction was not English must achieve a passing score of 64 on the Versant Pro Speaking and Writing English assessments.

Emergency Certification

A one year emergency permit can be issued to individuals who do not meet requirements for the professional certification to assume regular employment in a specific school district in Rhode Island. The one year emergency permit is issued at the request of a local school superintendent after they have documented that the services of a fully certified educator are unavailable.

Regulatory Oversight


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites: 

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Affairs Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners