North Dakota Licensing Requirements for Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Initial Licensure

Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology

  1. Possess an appropriate degree from an accredited educational institution recognized by the Board of Examiners:
    1. An applicant for a speech-language pathologist license shall possess at least a master's degree in speech-language pathology.
    2. An applicant for an audiologist license shall possess at least a master's or a doctorate degree in audiology.
  2. Passage of the PRAXIS II or an exam approved by the Board of Examiners

Note: No postgraduate professional experience is required.

Note: Audiologists must obtain a hearing aid dispenser license in order to dispense hearing aids.


  1. Physicians
  2. Hearing aid specialists
  3. Public school employees credentialed by the Department of Public Instruction
  4. Federal employees within the confines of their organization
  5. Students appropriately designated as speech-language pathology or audiology trainees or interns
  6. Teachers of the hearing impaired credentialed by the department of public instruction or the Council on Education of the Deaf
  7. Certified audiometric technicians
  8. Hearing screeners if services are part of a public service project and are performed in cooperation with a licensed audiologist who is responsible for the training, screening, and interpretation of testing results and appropriate referral and follow-up
  9. Any person licensed in the state from engaging in their profession
  10. Nonresidents who are not licensed in the state may provide services for no more than five days in any calendar year in cooperation with a licensed practitioner.


The Board of Examiners may  grant licensure to an applicant who holds a current license in good standing  in another state with equivalent standards.

Interim Practice

North Dakota does not require clinical fellowship for licensure, therefore individuals should apply directly for their initial license. 

Continuing Education

10 clock hours of continuing education are required per year.

Board Oversight

Board of Examiners on Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathologists and audiologist, please visit these websites: 

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners