Minnesota Licensing Requirements for Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Initial Licensure


  1. Doctoral degree with an emphasis in audiology, or its equivalent as determined by the commissioner, from an accredited educational institution.
  2. Clinical experience as required by ASHA, the American Board of Audiology, or an equivalent as determined by the commissioner.
  3. Passage of the national examination in audiology.

Note: Audiologists must have a hearing instrument dispenser license to dispense hearing aids. Audiologists are exempt from taking the written Hearing Instrument Dealers examination, but must achieve a passing score on the practical Hearing Instrument Dealers examination

Speech-Language Pathology

  1. Master's or doctoral degree from a Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) or equivalent accredited program. If completing a doctoral program in which a master's degree has not been conferred, an applicant must submit a transcript showing completion of coursework equivalent to or exceeding a master's degree; a letter from the program director may also be required.
  2. Clinical experience as required by ASHA, the American Board of Audiology (ABA), or an equivalent as determined by the commissioner.
  3. Passage of the national examination in speech-language pathology or audiology.


  1. Any person that is licensed, certified or registered to practice a profession or occupation that is within their scope of practice.
  2. School personnel licensed by the state board of teaching, and practicing within the scope of their school license.
  3. Students participating in supervised field work or supervised coursework if the person is designated by a title that clearly indicates the person's status as a student trainee.
  4. Individuals visiting the state and using protected titles while in the state, if the titles are used no more than 30 days in a calendar year as part of professional activity that is limited in scope and duration and is in association with a state licensed speech-language pathologist or audiologist.


  1. Applicants must provide evidence that they hold a current and unrestricted credential for the practice of speech-language pathology or audiology in another jurisdiction that has requirements equivalent to or higher than those in effect in Minnesota.
  2. Under this provision, individuals must have maintained the appropriate and unrestricted credentials during the past five years as demonstrated by submitting letters of verification to the commissioner.

Interim Practice

The commissioner may issue a temporary license to an applicant who: 

  1. Is completing their clinical fellowship or doctoral externship and have met all qualifications for licensure, have applied for licensure, and are not the subject of a disciplinary action;
  2. Have provided a copy of a current ASHA CCC in speech-language pathology or audiology or board certification in audiology by the American Board of Audiology.

Continuing Education

An applicant for licensure renewal must meet the requirements for continuing education stipulated by ASHA or the ABA
must show completion of 30 contact hours of continuing education per two-year renewal cycle. Dual licensees must complete 36 contact hours.

Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact

Minnesota is a member state of the Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact (ASLP-IC). Information on the current status of the ASLP-IC can be found on the ASLP-IC website.

Board Oversight

Speech Language Pathology and Audiology Advisory Council


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathologists and audiologist, please visit this website:

Minnesota Practice Act & Rules and Regulations 

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners