Minnesota Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.


Audiologists in the public schools are contract employees and do not fall under specific teacher requirements of the state Department of Education. State licensure issued by Minnesota Department of Health is typically required for practice in the schools.

Speech-Language Pathologist

First Professional License

Completion of a master's degree in speech-language pathology from an ASHA-accredited program or evidence of a valid Certificate of Clinical Competence from ASHA.

Professional License

Individual must have verification of having had one year of full-time experience as a speech-language pathologist in a school setting while holding a valid entrance license.

Continuing Education Requirement

One hundred twenty five clock hours are required every five years.

After June 30, 2007, a person who makes application for renewal as an educational speech-language pathologist, but who does not hold a master's degree in speech-language pathology, must provide evidence that at least 24-quarter hours or 16-semester hours of post-baccalaureate college credit in speech-language pathology or related special education instruction and services have been earned.


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners