Kansas Licensing Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Initial Licensure

Audiology and Speech Language Pathology

  1. Master's degree or equivalent from an educational institution with standards consistent with those of the state universities of Kansas or accredited by ASHA
  2. 400 hours supervised clinical practicum, at least 325 hours at graduate level, in the area in which licensure is sought
  3. Completion of supervised 9-month postgraduate professional experience
  4. Passage of a National Teachers Exam Specialty Area test administered by ETS

Note: Audiologists must obtain a Hearing Aid Dispenser license to dispense hearing aids. 


  1. Persons employed by the federal government
  2. Health care providers under the Kansas Healing Arts Act acting within their lawful scope of practice
  3. Persons credentialed by the state as teachers of the deaf or hearing impaired
  4. Supervised students properly identified as interns, trainees, or other such title indicating their status
  5. Persons under the supervision of a licensed physician or surgeon
  6. Persons licensed to dispense or fit hearing aids


  1. Each application shall be evaluated by comparing qualifications met to obtain the original license and any subsequent licenses with the current qualifications for Kansas licensure
  2. Applicant must also be in good standing with no administrative or disciplinary actions pending or in effect.

Interim Practice

Applicants who have completed the education and clinical practicum, but not the supervised postgraduate professional experience or the exam or both, shall apply for a temporary license. This license is good for a 12-month period and may be renewed once.

Continuing Education

Applicants must complete 20 hours of documented and approved continuing education per each two-year renewal period; applicants licensed in both speech-language pathology and audiology must complete 30 hours of documented and approved continuing education.

Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact

Kansas is a member state of the Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact. Information on the current status of the ASLP-IC can be found on the ASLP-IC website.

Regulatory Oversight

Kansas Department of Aging and Disability Services, Health Occupations Credentialing


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathologists and audiologist, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners