Iowa Licensing Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Initial Licensure

Audiology and Speech Language Pathology

  1. Master's degree from an accredited school with a major in speech pathology or a master’s degree or doctoral degree from an accredited school with a major in audiology
  2. Completion of 400 hours of supervised clinical training
  3. Completion of not less than nine months of clinical experience under the supervision of a licensed speech-language pathologist or audiologist following the receipt of the master's degree or as part of a doctoral degree
  4. Passage of the Praxis exam
    ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCCs)

In lieu of requirements 1–3, an audiologist may hold a doctoral degree or its equivalent from an accredited school that includes the academic coursework and hours of supervised training required by the Board of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology (Board).

Note: Audiologists who dispense hearing aids must obtain a hearing aid specialist license


  1. Physicians, osteopaths, surgeons and their employees/supervisees/students 
  2. Hearing aid dealers or fitters
  3. SLP or audiology students properly identified
  4. Audiometric testing administered pursuant to Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
  5. Non-professional aides who perform their services under the supervision of a speech-language pathologist or audiologist
  6. School district or area education agency employees certified by the Department of Education as speech or hearing clinicians. 


  1. The Board may waive the examination requirement for persons licensed or certified in another state if those state requirements are substantially equivalent to Iowa's.
  2. For licensure by endorsement: ASHA certification or nine months of clinical experience, National Teacher Exam scores sent directly to the Board, official copies of academic transcripts and verification of license(s) from every jurisdiction in which applicant has been licensed.

Interim Practice

  1. Any person who has fulfilled all of the requirements for licensure except for the nine months of clinical experience may apply for a temporary clinical license. Applicant must be supervised by an Iowa licensed speech-language pathologist or audiologist.
  2. Nonresidents may apply to the Board of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology for a temporary permit to practice speech-language pathology or audiology for a period not to exceed three months whenever in the opinion of the Board the need exists; the individual must have substantially the same qualifications as those required for an Iowa license.

Continuing Education

Licensees must complete 30 hours of continuing education per discipline per biennium renewal cycle.

Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact

Iowa is a member state of the Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology Interstate Compact. Information on the current status of the ASLP-IC can be found on the ASLP-IC website.

Board Oversight

Board of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathologists and audiologist, please visit this website:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners