Hawaii Licensing Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-Language pathology and/or audiology. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Initial Licensure

  1. Master's degree or its equivalent from an educational institution recognized by the Board
  2. Evidence of eligibility for meeting the requirements of ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) in speech-pathology or audiology or both, which includes
    1. 375 hours of supervised clinical practicum
    2. 36 weeks of full-time postgraduate clinical fellowship (supervised by CCC holder in specialty)
    An audiology or board certification from the American Board of Audiology meets the eligibility requirements of an ASHA CCC in audiology.
  3. Passage of an ETS written examination
  4. Three letters of recommendation


  1. Physicians or surgeons
  2. Licensed hearing aid dealers
  3. Any other person licensed by the state from engaging in the profession or occupation for which he/she is licensed
  4. Federal employees
  5. Clearly designated audiology or speech pathology interns or trainees
  6. Clinical fellows
  7. Services performed by non-residents for no more than five working days in a calendar year, or individuals with equivalent licenses in another state or their CCCs may provide services for no more than 30 working days in a calendar year and both must be performed in cooperation with a Hawaii-licensed speech pathologist or audiologist.


ASHA certified individuals or those licensed in another state and have applied for licensure under this section may practice pending Board action on their application (not to exceed 90 days from submittal).

Interim Practice

Individuals who meet the requirements for performance of temporary services shall register that temporary service with the Board and which shall be certified by the sponsoring licensee. Although a clinical fellowship is required for state licensure, Hawaii does not license individuals completing their clinical fellowship year.

Continuing Education

Hawaii does not require continuing education.

Board Oversight

Board of Speech Pathology and Audiology

Board Composition

The Board shall comprise seven members and each shall serve a three-year term; the membership shall comprise two state licensed speech pathologists, two state licensed audiologists, and three public members, one of whom shall be licensed to practice medicine in the state and hold a certificate of qualification from the American Board of Otorhinolaryngology.


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathologists and audiologist, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners