Arizona Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.


Audiologists in the public schools are contract employees and do not fall under specific teacher requirements of the State Department of Education. State licensure issued by Arizona Department of Health Services, Office of Special Licensing is typically required for practice in the schools.

Speech-Language Pathologist

Pre-Kindergarten-12 Certificate

  1. A master's degree or more advanced degree from an accredited institution, in speech pathology or communications disorders
  2. A minimum of 250 clinical clock hours supervised by a university or a speech-language pathologist with a certificate of clinical competence
  3. One of the following:
    1. A Certificate of Clinical Competence; or
    2. A passing score on the Education Testing Service National Exam in Speech-Language Pathology; or
    3. A passing score on the speech and language impaired special education portion of the Arizona Educator Proficiency Assessment (AEPA).

Continuing Education Requirement

Sixty clock hours are required every six years in the field of speech pathology, or professional development in the areas of articulation, voice, fluency, language disorders, low incidence disabilities, curriculum and instruction, professional issues and ethics, or service delivery models.


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners