Alabama Teacher Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

The information below is collected from state regulatory agencies responsible for regulating school based speech-language pathologists and/or audiologists. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.


Audiologists in the public schools are contract employees and do not fall under specific teacher requirements of the State Department of Education. State licensure issued by Alabama Board of Examiners for Speech Pathology and Audiology is typically required for practice in the schools.

Speech-Language Pathologist

Professional Educator Certificate 

An individual seeking a Professional Educator Certificate in Speech and Language Impairment must complete the Alabama Prospective Teacher Testing Program for initial certification and have the following:

  1. An official transcript from a regionally accredited institution documenting a bachelor’s degree; and
  2. An official transcript from a regionally accredited institution documenting an earned master’s degree in speech-language pathology or communication science disorders; and
  3. A passing score on the basic skills assessment and prescribed Praxis test of the Alabama Certification Testing Program (AECTP).
  4. A valid speech-language pathology license issued by a state board of examiners in speech pathology and audiology may meet requirements for Alabama certification.

Preliminary Certificate Approach

An individual who holds at least a master's degree in speech-language pathology but has not completed all requirements for professional certification may be eligible for preliminary certification. This may only be issued at the request of an employing superintendent or administrator in Alabama and allows up to three years employment. Individuals must also complete the Prospective Teacher Testing Program. Professional educator certificates resulting from the Preliminary Certificate approach may be issued upon the completion of all certification requirements, including two years of full-time satisfactory teaching experience with speech-language impaired students while holding the preliminary certificate.

Continuing Education Requirement

Continuation of the Professional Educator Certificate during the five year validity period may be continued with verification of one of the following:

  • Three full years of full-time educational experience and 50 clock hours of professional development or 3 semester hours of allowable college credit; or
  • Six semester hours of allowable college credit; or
  • Three semester hours of allowable college credit and 50 clock hours of professional development; or
  • Initial issuance of National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Certification.

Emergency Certification

Emergency certification may be issued for individuals with a bachelor's degree at the request of the employing superintendent or administrator in cases of emergency when an individual with Alabama certification is not available. It is valid only for the school year and cannot be renewed.


For further information on laws and regulations for school based speech-language pathologists and audiologists, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

ASHA Corporate Partners