Submit a Nomination for a Special Interest
Group Coordinating Committee
Update: The deadline for nominations has been extended through April 6.
The Special Interest Groups (SIGs) are now accepting nominations for their 2021–2023 Coordinating Committee (CC) elected vacancies. CC members, with the exception of the appointed Editor and Professional Development Manager, are elected by a plurality vote of the affiliates in the respective SIG.
Nominate yourself or another qualified affiliate to be considered for an upcoming vacancy by April 6, 2020.
The SIG CCs are responsible for leading the SIGs and their activities—such as overseeing the development of Perspectives content, coordinating SIG-developed continuing education opportunities, and contributing to policy and advocacy matters—and ensuring that they operate within
established programmatic guidelines [PDF]. CC Members are expected to follow the roles and responsibilities specified by the Board of Special Interest Group Coordinators (BSIGC) and actively contribute to the success of the SIG. Below are some of the general expectations of a CC
Member (see the Volunteer Leaders section of the
SIG Volunteer Handbook [PDF], pages 21–27).
- Serve at least a 3-year term.
- Serve in a leadership role and become familiar with ASHA and SIG volunteer leader resources.
- Attend CC meetings.
- Contribute as an active participant in face-to-face meetings and conference calls.
- Maintain regular communication with fellow CC members.
- Advocate for the SIGs and the professions.
- Spend at least 5 hours a month on CC work.
Note: There may also be SIG-specific expectations/responsibilities; that information will be provided by the CCs via their respective Affiliate Communities.
- The term nominated for is from January 1, 2021 through December 31, 2023.
- Both the nominator and the nominee must be members in good standing (i.e., current ASHA members with no current ethics violations) and current affiliates of the SIG for which the nomination is being submitted.
- ASHA Members (including those who joined SIGs as doctoral students) are eligible to submit nominations for the CC of any and all SIGs with which they are affiliated. However, individuals can only run for and serve on one SIG CC at any given time.
- ASHA International Affiliates, ASHA Associates, and NSSLHA Students are not eligible to nominate, vote, or hold office.
- Nominations must be submitted
online by 11:59 p.m., ET, Monday, April 6, 2020, to be eligible for consideration.
- Self-nominations are accepted and encouraged.
- The number of vacancies varies by SIG.
- If you are eligible to nominate for multiple SIG CCs, a separate nomination form must be submitted for each SIG.
- TIP: Use the ASHA Community to
search for colleagues within your SIG.
- Nominees will have until Friday, April 17, to accept their nominations and complete a brief questionnaire about volunteer activities and service to the professions. The questionnaire will also ask nominees, to provide a link to their
ASHA Community profiles.
- If you
are interested in being considered for any of the open positions, please make
sure your profile is complete and up-to-date with information you would like to share with your colleagues (education, work history, photo, etc.).
- Reminder: You can determine what information is visible to others by changing the
privacy settings on your ASHA Community Profile.
- The respective SIG CC will review all valid nominations (see guidelines above) to determine the slate of candidates for the election.
The following SIGs are not holding elections in 2020:
Please send questions regarding SIG Coordinating Committee nominations to
Deadline: Nominations must be
submitted electronically by 11:59 p.m., ET, Monday, April 6, 2020.